Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

20 Questions! (Forum Game)

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 272
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
697 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  01:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is one side of this coin show a large bird

That was gibberish. Does this coin have a bird on it.
Edited by Gincoin43
11/13/2019 02:01 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10424 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  03:49 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is the coin dated 1547 or earlier?
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
2705 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes this coin has a bird on it!

No, this coin is not dated 1547 or earlier.

14/20

(And since I don't have a crown among my accessories, they all look impressive to me. I do, however have a nice wool cap which I am about to put on so I can walk the dog in the 11 degree weather here).
Pillar of the Community
United States
2705 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will be offline until about 2:00.

SOUnds like you guys are narrowing it down ...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
697 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this coin gold?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2705 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my dreams I have a gold coin from the reign of this monarch, or any other Polish monarch of the period. And since I don't play the lottery, it's unlikely that dream will be realized (of course, even if I did play the lottery it would be unlikely ).

Recap:
- Coin is from a place which is majority or significant minority Polish speaking (other than Chicago).
- Coin was not minted 1547 or earlier, and is dated before 1606
- Coin depicts a monarch wearing a crown
- Coin has a bird on it
- Coin is not gold

15/20

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
697 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok Spence what other countries can you think of? Polish would have been the linga Franca of a large portion of Europe at this time, Bohemia? Or maybe Lithuania? Where else would have had a holy Roman emperor on the coin?
Pillar of the Community
United States
627 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I believe we have a hint in the word "SOUnds" from an earlier post. So I'm looking for a Polish sou. Don't ask me why.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
697 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maximilian II, Rudolph II, or Ferdinand I are the three choices I see for ruler. Rudolph often isn't crowned.

Is Maximilian II the august ruler depicted on this coin?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1200 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Where else would have had a holy Roman emperor on the coin?

I must be lost. who said Holy.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
697 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I must be lost. who said Holy.

Joe, but this coin doesn't seem to be listed under Poland.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1200 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Joe knows nothing
Pillar of the Community
United States
627 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Joe knows nothing

Not only that, he is an expert at it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2705 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, Maximilian is not depicted on this coin.

Quote:
this coin doesn't seem to be listed under Poland.

In @spence's last correct answer, he identified the geography pretty well. I do not think there was much Polish spoken west of the Oder river except in Silesia, nor south of the Tatra mountains. Bohemia was not a Polish speaking place to the best of my knowledge.

In looking at Numista in this time period, you need to be careful because before 1569 you will find Polish (and some LIthuanian) coins under "Poland, Kingdom of," but after 1569 they are under "Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth."

Edited by tdziemia
11/13/2019 3:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1200 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Joe of many trades. Master of none
Page: of 272  Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05