Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

20 Questions! (Forum Game)

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 274
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
700 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In looking at Numista in this time period, you need to be careful because before 1569 you will find Polish (and some LIthuanian) coins under "Poland, Kingdom of," but after 1569 they are under "Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth."

That was enormously helpful. The duke of Lithuania is Grand
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1203 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was this coin minted after 1569?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2710 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, this coin is dated later than 1569. In fact only one of the last three digits in that date appears on my coin, but not in the same order as it appears in 1569

Quote:
The duke of Lithuania is Grand

Quite a a swell guy, indeed. Starting in 1386 there was a "personal union" between the Kingdom of Poland and the Grand DUchy of Lithuania. This meant that usually the same monarch ruled as both king of Poland and grand duke of Lithuania. Starting in the late 1540s, the legend on one side of the coins usually reads (NAME) REX POL MAG DVX LIT or some abbreviation. The agreement was formalized by treaty in 1569, and thereafter was referred to as the Polish-Lithuanian COmmonwealth.
Edited by tdziemia
11/13/2019 5:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
627 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll guess 1599 Lithuanian 1 Denar of Zygmunt II August.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
700 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In fact only one of the last three digits in that date appears on my coin, but not in the same order as it appears in 1569

So 1600-1606
Pillar of the Community
United States
2710 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, 1599. The year that the monarch depicted on my coin was deposed as King of Sweden. And my coin had not yet been minted.

Hint: The monarch does an about face on this coin only two years: my date and the following year. (Unfortunately neither is shown in Numista, but you may find one of the dates pictured elsewhere).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1203 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(Unfortunately neither is shown in Numista

Here we go again.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
700 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.pegasusauctions.com/aa1...ow-toning-xf

Quote:
Here we go again.

He said it [the year] was not pictured not that it was not listed
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14000 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is that @tdz's coin is a 3 Groschen of Poland dated AD 1600 (attributed as Kopicki 1171, with Siggy III facing lewo rather than prawo).
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2710 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We have at least one winner!

@Gincoin posted a link to a Poland 1600 trojak, Krakow mint.
@spence phrased it as a guess.

I will defer to the 20 questions sages for a ruling. In the meantime, here is the coin. I apologize for choosing it before checking whether or not it was in Numista (as best I can tell, it is not). The Poland Numista catalog is so thorough I was shocked to find this gap, and have submitted an entry.

Edited by tdziemia
11/13/2019 9:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
700 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No need for a ruling I didn't phrase it as a guess

Nice coin, maybe you should add the picture to Numista.
Edited by Gincoin43
11/13/2019 9:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2710 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I submitted it earlier this evening, and I see it's now been added
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
700 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I submitted it earlier this evening, and I see it's now been added

How kind of you
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10430 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  03:27 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a serious question about this game: is it based on who can perform an advanced search of Numista better than everyone else? I was under the impression that people were using actual knowledge to form guesses, but I find that highly unlikely given the subject coins.

Edit: I believe Spence should be the winner.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
11/14/2019 03:49 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
700 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  03:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was under the impression that people were using actual knowledge to form guesses, but I find that highly unlikely given the subject coins.

Some of it is actual knowledge but how does one gain more knowledge? I personally use it to explore a wide variety different things. I don't believe there is a rule that say the coin you pick has to be listed anywhere.
Page: of 274  Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05