Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

20 Questions! (Forum Game)

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 74
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to Numista, that leaves 43 possible coin types ranging from a Denga to 10 kopecks.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it still makes sense to narrow down the date range.

Was it minted after 1774?
Pillar of the Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
According to Numista, ...

Oh, you can't trust that website. no sirree.

Pillar of the Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Was it minted after 1774?

Yes, it WAS minted after 1774.

15/20
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
23 coin types left. If anybody want to see which coins meet this criteria according to Numista, Click this link.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12443 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@GF, for sure there are slightly different ways to interpret that this coin "is minted in Russia", but for the late 1700s (1774-1799 to be exact), I interpret this coin as being from the Russia Empire under Catherine II or Paul I).

Quote:
I can confirm your summation is correct.

But there's a lot more to it than just that.

Ok sorry perhaps you could provide us with your summary of what we know about your coin?

Added:

Quote:
23 coin types left

True, but we can broadly categorize this as being a 1 Denga, or 1, 2, 4, 5, or 10 Kopecks. However, the 10 Kopecks in copper is a pattern and the 4 Kopecks was not issued for circulation. It is possible that @JC has one of those, but as we are getting low on guess, how about if we assume that it is either a Denga, or a 1,2, or 5 Kopeck?
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Edited by Spence
07/17/2019 7:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ok sorry perhaps you could provide us with your summary of what we know about your coin?

My summary of what all contestants know about my coin is the same as yours.

I'm saying that there is more to the coin than the summation. Which of course is the point of this exercise.

I'm known as Captain Obvious in some places. Sorry.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12443 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok sorry I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought that maybe someone I had missed something.

Since @jadey is focused on the date, I'll work on the denomination. Is this coin a denomination 1 (that is either a 1 Denga or a 1 Kopeck)?

Ok yikes we also still have to worry about the mintmark.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is this coin a denomination 1 (that is either a 1 Denga or a 1 Kopeck)?

Hmm, the stickler in me wants to cry foul, since the question seems to be more an either/or than a yes/no.

But the gamer in me says,"That's a good question!"

No, this coin is NOT a denomination of 1.

16/20
Pillar of the Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
from Russia.
minted before 1800.
minted after 1774.
copper.
at least 22 mm in diameter.
not a denomination of 1.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2322 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
will help narrow it down, my guess is a 1798 2 Kopeks.. as this is a guess it doesn't count as a question. But to help the help the others out with a free be , is anything in my guess correct..
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12443 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In looking at Krause, there are about 26 date/mm combinations for the 2 Kopecks and more than double that for the 5 Kopecks. From a total mintage standpoint, it looks to me like the ratio is more like 1:30 (in favor of this being a 5 Kopecks).

My bet is that it is a 5--so should we confirm or else try to narrow the date or start in on figuring out the mintmark? Only 4 more questions...

Added: In looking at the mintmarks, the vast majority of these coins are mintmark EM.
-----King Adz
Edited by Spence
07/17/2019 8:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
From a total mintage standpoint, it looks to me like the ratio is more like 1:30 (in favor of this being a 5 Kopecks).

My bet is that it is a 5--so should we confirm or else try to narrow the date or start in on figuring out the mintmark? Only 4 more questions...

Well 1:30 ratio is not a great avenue to pursue, so I will continue on the date. Several coins issued 1787-1788, so its best to guess before 1787 or after 1788.

Was the coin minted after 1788?
Pillar of the Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
will help narrow it down, my guess is a 1798 2 Kopeks.. as this is a guess it doesn't count as a question. But to help the help the others out with a free be , is anything in my guess correct..

I'm sorry, but this question is outside of the rules.

You can ask one yes or no question at a time.

You can take a guess at any time, if you are wrong you are out, If you are right, you win!

In the case of the current coin, we need the denomination, date and mint mark (if any).
Pillar of the Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Was the coin minted after 1788?

Yes, the coin WAS minted after 1788.

17/20
Page: of 74  Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05