Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

20 Questions! (Forum Game)

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 7,523 / Views: 287,135Next Topic
Page: of 502
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11477 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some Guidance...

Quote:
Technical, Central America is in North America. So I think that takes us to Africa.

Quote:
We dont necessary care where the coin was minted, at this stage of the game. We want to know where it was issued.

Quote:
7. Not minted in North America

In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure how you can be in the Western Hemisphere and not part of North or South America, while not being an island nation.

Does that mean it could be an island territory?
Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
768 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Or am I the only one lost

Right there with you keith. Q 10 messed us up. Sprue gave us some guidance, so lets analyze that.

Quote:
Technical, Central America is in North America. So I think that takes us to Africa.

Do you think he's saying...forget about Central America. I do because if you tie this in with it....

Quote:
Not minted in North America

....then it should be out. Does that only leave Africa.

Now this one seems easier.

Quote:
We dont necessary care where the coin was minted, at this stage of the game. We want to know where it was issued.

Was there a "minted" VS "issued" question we asked and got messed up on.

I didn't use ? for a reason. .
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11477 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not sure how you can be in the Western Hemisphere and not part of North or South America, while not being an island nation.

All of northwest Africa is in the Western Hemisphere, for what it's worth.

Pillar of the Community
United States
782 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
African countries that meet our criteria (I think):

Guinea
Liberia
Mauritania
Morocco
Senegal

Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AH, tectonically then, like most of Newfoundland is in Europe.

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11477 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
AH, tectonically then, like most of Newfoundland is in Europe.

No, geographically. From Wikipedia:

The Western Hemisphere is a geographical term for the half of Earth which lies west of the prime meridian (which crosses Greenwich, London, United Kingdom) and east of the antimeridian.

In any case, so that you still have some chance of guessing this coin, forget about Africa.

Edited by spruett001
02/24/2021 9:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3055 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  03:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2. Minted north of the Equator
3. Minted in the Western Hemisphere
These 2 are the ones that did us in
The Royal Mint is in the Western Hemisphere. Along with others I'msure
Edited by keith12
02/25/2021 03:54 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11477 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  05:11 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
RECAP

1. Not around before 1899
2. Minted north of the Equator
3. Minted in the Western Hemisphere
4. Issuing country not an island nation
5. Not around in 1956
6. Issuing country is not the USA
7. Not minted in North America
8. Not around in 1928 (obviously )
9. Common English name is not more than one word
10. (a brief summary eludes me...)
11. Not minted in continental Europe
12. Not around in 1988
13. (a brief summary eludes me, again...)
14. Not issued by Venezuela
15. Issuing country not in South America

5 questions left!

HINT: #2 & #3 answers would be the same even if you replaced "minted" with "issued."

Pillar of the Community
United States
782 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, this leaves Central America only, maybe.

One word named countries in Central America:

Belize
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama
Guatemala
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  09:30 am  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's interesting the variety of definitions for "Western Hemisphere".

Dictionary.com: "the western part of the terrestrial globe, roughly extending from the prime meridian west to the antimeridian: sometimes considered synonymous with the New World because the Americas are its primary composition, the Western Hemisphere technically extends into western Eurasia and Africa, easternmost Siberia, and part of Antarctica as well."

But, Merriam-Webster uses:
"Definition of western hemisphere

the half of the earth comprising North and South America and surrounding waters"

AndBritannica comes out in the middle:
"Western Hemisphere, part of Earth comprising North and South America and the surrounding waters. Longitudes 20 W and 160 E are often considered its boundaries. Some geographers, however, define the Western Hemisphere as being the half of Earth that lies west of the Greenwich meridian (prime meridian, 0 longitude) continuing to the 180th meridian. According to this scheme, the Western Hemisphere includes not only North and South America but also portions of Africa, Europe, Antarctica, and Asia."

No biggy at all, but an eye-opening conundrum.

Learning a lot here and tuition-free!

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
768 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did any of these countries have coins minted for them, possibly UK.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3055 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
4. Issuing country not an island nation

Maybe this is where I went wrong. Could be a Territory. If spruett wants to get all picky
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
768 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Maybe this is where I went wrong. Could be a Territory. If spruett wants to get all picky

I doubt it. That has been a pretty standard question in the past. He's not going to pick on it now.

I like joe's list. Most of those countries have had multiple mints make their coins. Remember, not minted in Canada's, any US and Mexico mints. This is leading me to The Royal Mint. Most of, if not all, of these countries have or had dealings with the RM. Gotta remember the 1988 date. My battery died looking these up, so didn't get to far, but Belize is looking good to me. Feedback....

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11477 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anybody got a question?

Page: of 502 Replies: 7,523 / Views: 287,135Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05