Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

20 Questions! (Forum Game)

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 121
Pillar of the Community
United States
564 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Minted in North America?

No, not minted in North America.
Pillar of the Community
United States
564 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Is the coin silver?

Yes, the coin is more silver than not.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12720 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Minted in Asia?
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
564 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Minted in Asia?

This is one of those questions. The type of question that makes me want to get on the roof and sing a Mary Poppins song. (Don't really know why.)

You see, I'm 99% certain the coin was struck outside of Asia, but I have no hard evidence. I do know that the country of issue had no mint at the time of striking.

So, the technical answer to your question is no, the coin was not minted in Asia. However, the issuing country is in Asia. I'm going to assume you wanted to know what country the coin was struck for, not what country it was struck in.

I am known for my generous nature in some circles.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2356 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of rounds ago someone commented that we should get away from the "minted in" mindset, and I agree it can sow confusion. Not least because this information is not easy to find in many cases.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1512 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
2356 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  07:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, Asia with an interesting clue that this place would not have been minting its own coins.

Leads one to think of a colony (Macau? Hong Kong?), or smaller state (i.e. we rule out Japan, China, India, Iran, etc.).

And silver after 1960 is probably not that common, at least in circulating coins?

I will try this question to narrow things down:

Is this coin from a a nation or state that today is predominantly Islamic? I think this would include Pakistan and everything west of it except Israel. Also Bangladesh, Indonesia, maybe one or two other places.
Edited by tdziemia
08/17/2019 07:06 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12720 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm going to assume you wanted to know what country the coin was struck for, not what country it was struck in.

Yes that.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
564 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is this coin from a a nation or state that today is predominantly Islamic? I think this would include Pakistan and everything west of it except Israel. Also Bangladesh, Indonesia, maybe one or two other places.

No, this nation or state today is NOT predominantly Islamic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
564 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So far:

After 1960
Before 1990
Silver
Asia
Not a predominately Islamic country

8/20
Pillar of the Community
United States
564 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
4th hint:

This country was a member of the United Nations when this coin was minted.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12720 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on their populations being over 200M, we can remove China, India, Indonesia, and Pakistan. Is the current population 10M or higher? For all of our convenience, please use this web link as the source of truth with regard to population:

https://www.worldometers.info/geogr...ies-in-asia/
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
564 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Based on their populations being over 200M, we can remove China, India, Indonesia, and Pakistan. Is the current population 10M or higher?

Why yes, this country does currently have 10 million or more population.

It also had fewer persons when the coin was minted, than it does today.

9/20
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12720 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one might seem oddly specific, but is the rank order of this country joining the United Nations a lower number than the the last two digits of the year of issuance of this coin?
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2356 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on knocking out majority Islamic countries and countries below 10 MM population, I think we are only left with these:
Philippines
Vietnam
Thailand
Myanmar
South Korea
Nepal
North Korea
Sri Lanka
Cambodia

Let's see the answer to the next question ...
And I wonder how many countries on this list made silver coins after 1960?
Page: of 121 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05