Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

20 Questions! (Forum Game)

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 14,875 / Views: 520,467Next Topic
Page: of 992
Valued Member
Australia
67 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OzLeigh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder who knows what this means. I do. . Bugger!

That means absolutely nothing to me! I'm going to have to pass on this round. Looking forward to the coin reveal.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3890 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You can change your guess.

Thats not fare. But I think I know what it is
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
978 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't quit now. I got lot's of hints to come.

Steve was not supposed to play anymore, but did, subtlety. He is the bugger I was referring to, as only us 2 knew what he was talking about. And it wasn't about cannon balls. Clear as mud. Hope so.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
978 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thats not fare. But I think I know what it is

1 question left. Help your fellow guessers.

Pillar of the Community
United States
789 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Must be this one. I know loonie is rich, he has to be to be able to buy all that Canuk mint stuff year after year after year after year year after year after year after year year after year after year after year year after year after year after year year after year after year after year year after year after year after year year after year after year after year .

That's not my guess, by the way.
Pillar of the Community
United States
789 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I went to the online gift shop at the RCM, thinking it was some kind of gag coin, along the lines of the Sudbury nickel, only much smaller, but still larger than normal. I don't see any krap like that though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
789 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Must be this one.

Edited by joecoin
01/22/2022 11:39 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
789 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I have a good idea as to who stole these dies.

From Snopes website:

"Although Canada, like its American cousin, had long had a "silver" dollar, the dollar hadn't seen much use as a circulated coin in the latter part of the 20th century; citizens of both countries greatly preferred their respective homelands' one-dollar banknotes. One-dollar bills, however, are now impractical when viewed from a cost-benefit basis: they wear out, necessitating replacement far more frequently than dollar coins would. Paper currency has a life expectancy of nine months, whereas coins are good for twenty years.

In 1987 Canada's currency underwent a major change with the introduction of "the loonie," that country's new gold-colored one-dollar coin. The loonie was created to replace the one-dollar bill, which was to be removed from circulation through attrition: worn-out dollar bills would continue to be destroyed, but no new stock of paper currency would take their place. Canadians were given one year to become accustomed to the metal dollar coin, then the Bank of Canada ended distribution of one-dollar banknotes, leaving the loonie supreme.

Prior to 1987, Canada's silver dollar coin featured two men in a fur-laden canoe, a depiction of the voyageurs who had dared the wilderness in that country's early days. When Canada decided to replace one-dollar bills with one-dollar coins, the 1935 Emanuel Hahn "voyageur" design was adapted for the new coin, but something went awry the master dies of the new one-dollar coin were lost in transit.

The dies, which had been produced in Ottawa, were being shipped to production facilities in Winnipeg.
According to an investigation conducted by the Royal Canadian Mint, they had been entrusted to a courier service on 3 November 1986 and were never seen again. The dies' being sent by courier was in itself a breach of accepted security procedures (transport of the dies should have been handled by a
high-security outfit such as Brink's), but there was more: no one had asked the courier company representative who had appeared to take possession of the package for identification. And both dies, the obverse and reverse of the new coin, had been bundled into the same shipment, meaning that whoever had the package also had the dies for striking both sides of the new coin. (The two sides should have been shipped separately to head off this possibility.)

Although the Royal Canadian Mounted Police assert the dies were merely lost in transit, others believe they were stolen by folks intent upon minting their own money. With this possibility looming, the Mint undertook to redesign the coin to foil potential counterfeiters. They had an alternate Robert-Ralph Carmichael design featuring a loon on hand and quickly gained government approval for its use. Dies were cut, and the gold-colored dollars were loosed upon the Canadian public on 30 June 1987, meeting the schedule for the release date of the original "voyageurs" coin.

The subject of the coin's design prompted its own nomenclature. Canadians quickly dubbed the new coin "the loonie" (a name has stuck through the years), and piggy banks became known as "loonie bins." In 1996, the "toonie" joined the loonie in the pockets of Canadians as a new dual-metalled coin took the place of the two-dollar bill. Also known as "the queen with the bear behind" (Queen Elizabeth on one side, a bear on the other), the toonie gained its name from a combination of "two" and "loonie."

The loonie, by the way, might be gold colored, but it contains no gold. It is made of aureate bronze plated on pure nickel."

David Mikkelson

Published 2 December 2002
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
978 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like "retired" joe just handed me the crown...

Quote:
...leaving the loonie supreme.

Finally some respect. .

Quote:
The loonie, by the way, might be gold colored, but it contains no gold. It is made of aureate bronze plated on pure nickel."

umm . . .

lewy is made of this...

gcwzq_aDXvE

Edited by loonielewy
01/22/2022 12:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3832 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought this might be all over by now.
Come on guys, you can do it.
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,800 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
978 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  04:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I may have to let you ask the last question Steve. I'm sure they would get it then.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
3832 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  04:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I won't ask a question , but I will say check out the Canadian section on this forum. Use the search function.

6 days in a row over 40C now.
Too hot to go outside, so I'm listening to music on Youtube.
I love the 1812 overture, amongst other classics.
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,800 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Edited by triggersmob
01/23/2022 06:35 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
978 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  06:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I love the 1812 overture

The full version with the real cannon shots I hope. I wonder if they pulled those balls off a brass monkey? .

Pillar of the Community
Australia
3832 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
with the real cannon shots I hope.

Of course.

Quote:
I wonder if they pulled those balls off a brass monkey?

They might have fallen off themselves if the BRASS got cold enough.
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3890 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone needs to ask the last question
Page: of 992 Replies: 14,875 / Views: 520,467Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: