Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cracking Coin Holder

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
319 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  3:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a small collection of Morgan dollars. Right now I'm looking at a Morgan that's in an auction that's in an ICG holder. I would prefer it be in a PCGS holder and were I to bid and win the coin I would most likely send it to PCGS to be slabbed. My question is: Were I to do so am I responsible for breaking the coin out of the holder, or will PCGS do that for me? If I'm responsible how does one safely do that? I've never attempted before.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11861 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There have been numerous threads on this subject but I can say a few words now . No TPG ( PCGS or NGC ) will break the old slab themselves . So you have to ; Place slab on hard surface cover with cloth ,hit corner of slab with hammer a few times. When you see slab start to open pry it carefully apart with screw driver .It's not as hard to do as you might think .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12578 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No TPG ( PCGS or NGC ) will break the old slab themselves .

They actually will and do it all the time. You can either do a cross over to PCGS as a cross at any grade or you send it in and tell them to treat it as a raw coin. I would call tomorrow and confirm the treat as a raw coin is still an option though before doing it
Pillar of the Community
United States
7065 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  09:38 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been using large nipper/cutters with great success lately when I need to break out a coin, I've found ANACS holders are the toughest to crack and sometimes they need a good twist. PCGS are by far the easiest to break apart. I use the cutter between the coin area and the label area on each side, usually results in a clean break.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
United States
357 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  11:18 am  Show Profile   Check AES's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add AES to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just add a note that says crack and grade on the form for PCGS and ANACS. NGC has a release form you have to sign and include with the submission if you want them to crack it out. (They will call you if you forget ) I've never had an issue with having this done.
Edited by AES
07/10/2019 11:22 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15939 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS will crack the slab for you, just submit it as a crossover.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
357 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Check AES's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add AES to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had PCGS crack them out and grade them raw as well. It will save an additional handling and shipping fee if you have other raw coins in the submission. A bit of a gamble I guess if you don't know how it will grade out.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12578 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've found ANACS holders are the toughest to crack and sometimes they need a good twist. PCGS are by far the easiest to break apart.

I think you may honestly be the first person I have ever seen say that. The current ANACS slabs can literally be opened up with bare hands. Just rip the back off or flex it until the top snaps off and pull the two pieces apart, yes I have done both of those multiple times. ANACS is by far the easiest out of the eBay four to open.

ICGs are a bit annoying probably from the indentations, NGC is hit or miss depending on how strong the seal is, PCGS is the most consistent as far as results go, but the easiest in my opinion is ANACS by far
Pillar of the Community
United States
5699 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've only ever cracked one slab (an ANACS slab) and I did that by hand.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7065 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  02:27 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I'm more worried about damaging the coin in the ANACS holder their slabs seem to crack right across the coin ( Morgan dollars) usually, where I certainly don't want to add a scratch onto the coin itself. NGC I agree depends on the seal, Have only cracked a few ICG. I must have a batch of really tough to crack ANACS coins I sent in around 5 or 6 years ago I've been cracking a few out and they have been so difficult, even used a hammer and broke the hammer (cheap Chinese steel) the slab wouldn't give, ended up taking a saw to it. I have had some of the yelloow label ANACS that cracked without tools in the past, just not the ones I've been doing this month from that old batch.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15939 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SEGS slabs are normally considered to be the toughest to crack. The plastic isn't a brittle as the plastic from the other services. It is able to absorb impacts of greater force from say a vice before the holder cracks.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12578 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  03:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. guess I'm more worried about damaging the coin in the ANACS holder their slabs seem to crack right across the coin ( Morgan dollars) usually, where I certainly don't want to add a scratch onto the coin itself

That's certainly a valid point as they do tend to do that when force is used. If you look on the back of the slab though there's a seem at the top that if you can get that to separate a bit the back will come right off where you don't have to worry about the facial cracks over the coin.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05