Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

NGC And Ebay Partner On Expert Review Service

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
United States
236 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoggingLiberty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
-fizbCU6OjU

NGC and EBay not giving information about a listing to the next buyer of the service is a problem. Hopefully that gets adjusted somehow..
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19953 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The author of this video is a third party and I strongly believe some of his info is incorrect.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4455 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Bobby

@JogginggLiberty is @SPEGTACULAR.....
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15980 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I read that tag line four times before I could understand it.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19953 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, some of the info is most likely wrong and pure speculation. I'm finding out for sure.
Valued Member
United States
236 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoggingLiberty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What info are you curious about exactly? I don't just make stuff up in my videos ;)

If you're curious whether or not a buyer of this service is the only one who gets to see the results then I personally confirmed that with NGC. Their response when I asked if anyone else gets to know the results of the findings from purchasing the expert review service was from NGC "Nope. Only the buyer of the service." Direct quote from NGC.

Any other info is obtained directly through NGC's facts or by me actually looking through the process personally... so, I'm not sure what else you think I'm wrong about.
Edited by JoggingLiberty
07/12/2019 7:23 pm
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19953 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You said that if the coin was counterfeit the listing will continue to run and others will have to pay $5 to find out the same thing, right?
Valued Member
United States
236 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoggingLiberty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So as I pointed out from NGC, the buyer of the service is the only one to receive any information about the expert review. So if the coin is possibly fake, then the only person that will know is the buyer of the service. Also realize that NGC doesn't say they are identifying fakes but they'll identify it as "possibly fake" or in their words "likely not genuine"

Now NGC and EBay doesn't say that any action at all will take place as far as reporting the listing or trying to flag the listing or anything. If they were doing that, I'd imagine that they'd proudly admit that they're removing listings or flagging them.... now THAT is speculation :)
NGC says that the buyer of the expert review gets all info and no other potential buyers/onlookers of the coin....and that expert review for the fake coin will cost $5 that the buyer does not get back.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19953 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I can tell you with certainty that NGC has been reporting counterfeits on eBay to the same contact as me for years.

Quote:
I'd imagine that they'd proudly admit that they're removing listings or flagging them.

And you'd be wrong.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2103 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Quote:
The biggest qualm I have on the matter is that NGC is offering consulting that could potentially lead to wrongful or tortious interference with contracts, while trying to distance themselves from any responsibility for their actions.

? I'll make a wild guess that their lawyers have thought this through and see little risk that anything could come back to them. Likely they have spent a bit of time with eBay's lawyers on this.

It is interesting to me that this signals that EBay is actually concerned about authenticity issues. I wonder if this is due to market pressures or regulatory pressures?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6027 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is interesting to me that this signals that EBay is actually concerned about authenticity issues

I don't suppose the income from the new NGC partnership played any part in eBay's newfound concern.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Edited by Earle42
07/12/2019 10:22 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12146 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder if this is due to market pressures or regulatory pressures?

For all we know NGC could have paid a fee to eBay for this just like they pay to be the official graders of the ANA and PNG. If not an outright fee some sort of revenue sharing is almost certainly happening.

It's highly unlikely that eBay would give away exclusivity for such a service for free
Pillar of the Community
United States
2103 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2019  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That makes sense, though I wonder if eBay sees even more value in attracting more bidders (who otherwise would have been scared off by the reports of rampant fakes), and higher selling prices

It's hard for me to see a downside here for NGC, eBay or the hobby.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1028 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2019  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well I can tell you with certainty that NGC has been reporting counterfeits on eBay to the same contact as me for years.

That may be, but with this new service, why wouldn't their policy be that if they believe the coin to be "Likely Not Genuine" then they would report that opinion to eBay? It would then be up to eBay on how to act given NGC's opinion.

And a couple of questions
- what determines whether or not a raw coin has this service available? seems like most raw coins have it but some do not?
- why isn't there any information about the service in eBay help? or is there and I just haven't found it?

All of the press releases I've seen on this are coming out of Sarasota and not San Jose. eBay seems to be pretty silent about it.

EDIT: Hmmmm, my first question may be moot. With advertisement blocking software on, you don't see the NGC review line in a listing, with the software paused/off you do see it
Edited by BadDog
07/13/2019 3:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4490 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2019  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's real easy to render opinions when you have 1) no skin in the game, and 2) you have no liability when something goes wrong.

Sounds like a pretty sweet deal!
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05