Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Sun-Face, Sunrise, Or Sunset Coins!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 365 / Views: 17,054Next Topic
Page: of 25
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18643 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2021  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1350/1971 Iran.
1 Rial-- Mohammad Reza Pahlavi

Edited by Dorado
08/25/2021 10:51 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18643 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2021  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1966 Romania.
15 Bani.

Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18643 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2021  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1943 Estados Unidos Mexicanos.
20 centavos.

Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18643 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1960 Turkey.
10 Lira 27 May 1960 Revolution.

-
Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18643 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1928 Estados Unidos Mexicanos.
20 centavos.

Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1928 Estados Unidos Mexicanos. 20 centavos.
Very nice!
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This undated silver shilling token from Romsey, in Hampshire, England, is a recent auction pickup for me. Issued 1811-1812 by William Lintott & Sons of Romsey and Southampton, it depicts a starboard broadside view of a three-masted ship led by a lugger toward the rising sun...presumed to be rising because it's shown here on the eastern horizon.

In their 2010 Galata "Token Book" (the unnumbered one), the Witherses write this about the Lintott family: "At the time of the token issue, and later, their activities encompassed the manufacture of sacking, flax yarn spinning and the selling of wine and spirits, and coal."

As for the odd-looking smaller craft, Wikipedia tells us that a lugger is a shallow-draft sailing vessel defined by its rig, which employed a lugsail overlapping a single mast and a centerboard to improve windward progress in deeper waters. Luggers were widely used as working craft, particularly off the coasts of England, Ireland and Scotland.

Hampshire, Romsey: Dalton 41, Davis 36.

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This undated silver shilling token from Romsey, in Hampshire, England, is a recent auction pickup for me. Issued 1811-1812 by William Lintott & Sons of Romsey and Southampton, it depicts a starboard broadside view of a three-masted ship led by a lugger toward the rising sun...presumed to be rising because it's shown here on the eastern horizon.
Excellent!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18643 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1966 Philippines.
10 centavos.

Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2021  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

"Little Miss Sunshine" beams brightly on this farthing token issued by Edward Fish, circa 1655-1665, in the Middlesex hamlet of Wapping, which is now just another neighborhood in London, England. Mr. Fish was probably a pewterer operating near the Sun Inn, and/or he could have (also) owned the tavern itself...records are sketchy, to say the least.

The legends read: EDWARD. FISH. AT on the sunny side (obv.), with THE. SVNN. IN. WAPIN encircling the initials "EF" separated by a rosette.

Williamson, London 3296, 0.8g, about 16mm.

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
Page: of 25 Previous TopicReplies: 365 / Views: 17,054Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: