Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hoping Some Of You Guys Can Help Me Out.

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  1:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lue 311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Should I have any of these graded?

Pillar of the Community
United States
4918 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
.... to the Community!

There is no point grading coins such as those that are pictured.

They are all common and grading them will not add value enough to offset any grading fees.

Your heirs can ask the same question 100 years from now and the answer will probably be the same.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32056 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. As a general rule,the coins needs a retail value of at least $100-$150 to justify all costs involved in slabbing. IMHO,none of the posted coin are worth the expense.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16254 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just the 1982 D cent, but only if it weighs around 3.1 grams.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44958 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
None of these merit TPG grading.

to the CCF!
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lue 311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see coins like these selling through great collections and Heritage selling all the time for a decent amount though. Am I missing something?
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If Heritage accepted any coin denominations like yours for auction, you can bet the farm that they were of a highly exceptional grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
854 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lue 311, depends on what you mean by "great amount". these aren't going to grade better than MS65 I don't think, so they won't be top population examples from a grading company.

Let's take the 1919 S for example. likely this gets an AU.... somthing. Best case Maybe MS62 Brown? I don't know. Anyways, getting it graded will cost like $17, and then about $34 for return shipping from them, and also what it cost you to send it to them. Lets call it about $60 all in to get it graded, could be a bit more or a bit less depending on speed and insurance ect.

This coin could be worth anywhere from $20-$85 depending on the grade it gets, and if it gets slabbed and details/cleaned or something then worth even less. It's going to cost you $60 to get it graded. Is it really worth it at that point to spend $60 on something that might put a total of $25 back in you pocket best case, and let the rest get eaten up by costs? or worst case, comes back AU53BN an worth $21?

Some are pretty but the value isn't there like the 1952 S, where it need to basically be MS68 to break $80 dollars, others aren't pretty enough and won't grade high enough to make it worth it either. These are the kind of coins you probably shouldn't spend the money to get professionally graded, but worthy of a nice 2x2 or Album, and working on grading yourself to come up with an acceptable value range if the time comes to sell that doesn't involve paying a 3rd party grader $60.

Anyways though, people spend the money and get stuff graded all the time they probably shouldn't, mostly because they think they should. this is why there's always graded cent on Ebay, lets say a 2018 MS 68 and they are asking $2000 for it, while there's a MS 67 and they are asking $135 for it, and then a MS66 and they are asking $30 for it, and that's probably too much, lol. It's a gamble unless you know how to grade for sure, and know that it absolutely should make your fees back and a nice profit worth the time and effort of grading it.

Edited by Big-Kingdom
07/17/2019 4:38 pm
Learn More...
United States
82665 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
6168 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

And what Big-Kingdom said is very wise.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lue 311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks big-kingdom that helps me a ton. So pretty much the only thing worth sending off for grading is pristine BU coins or errors that need to have an authentication more or less. My grandfather was a collector and I'm wanting to follow in his steps without killing myself financially. I do have a book of 74-2013 BU pennies however and most of those are in immaculate condition. I've seen where some of the 82 series coins can be worth a substantial amount any thoughts on this or am I holding to high of hopes?
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lue 311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One more question this Mercury dime has what appears to be another number or something behind the date if you look closely and I think it's the micro s variety does that make a difference?
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lue 311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also the 1930 D has something incredibly strange going on with the date anyone have any ideas on that?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3420 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No. None of these are of much value.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12715 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 30-D Lincoln is just a hit on the 3 . Need sharp close up of the 45-S Mint Mark on Mercury reverse .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
854 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Lue333, not all errors are high value and reach a selling price point worthy of getting them graded either. Many errors are $5-$10 coins and it doesn't make much sense to spend the money to get it slabbed when you'd actually lose money when you go to sell it.

Good rule of thumb is to work on determining grades yourself and realizing where the MS65 cut off is, and where the MS67 cut off is ect and then drawing a line at a return of at least $150 if you sold it, to make it worth the time and effort for grading. Older coins may have a lower cut off Good, XF, AU ect. because of higher values and rarity.
When you go to sell that graded coin, you'd want to at least get the $60 or so back, and another $100 or so as a minimum, I'd think, but everyone is different.

I'll be honest, in any given year, the really high graded coins, MS68, MS69, MS70, are likely like 1 in millions of coins struck random perfection.
It's possible to come across that 1, I'm sure people have to each year, but most people have no idea it is that special one when they see it and start rubbing their grubby finger all over it.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05