Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Liberty Head Nickel Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
514 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  12:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was looking at my Liberty Head Nickels this morning. I had been trying to flip some of them (and ran into a bit of a slump). But I was looking them over this morning when it suddenly hit me.

I have 15 of the 33 needed to make a full set and looking at what I was missing, I realized that I could also pick up probably 10 or 12 of those pretty quickly. So, I think I have decided to try to do a full set (circulated).

Does anyone have any words of wisdom or advice?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41482 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tell us more about which dates you have and their grades, please.
Pillar of the Community
United States
514 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is what I've got so far (I need to verify a few of the grades):

1883 no cents VF20
1883 cents VF20
1884 VF20 (?)
1892 VF20
1895 G4
1896 F12
1903 G4
1904 XF40
1905 VF20
1906 VF20
1907 XF40
1908 XF40
1910 VF20
1911 XF40
1912 XF40
Learn More...
United States
77410 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So, I think I have decided to try to do a full set
Good luck!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17516 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
85, 86, and 12-S can cost more than all the rest of the set combined. If you go for those keys I strongly recommend NGC or PCGS regardless of grade selected.

The Liberty series is a very nice set to complete, especially if you can stay in the 40-58 grade range.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13178 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does anyone have any words of wisdom or advice?

All good advice above--mine only addition is to not bother trying to acquire a so-called Racketeer Nickel.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17516 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How am I gonna sell em if you say that Spence? I was about to run a special on them too
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41482 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@moxking is right - consider your budget, then compare the combined cost of the Big 3 in different grades with this figure. You'll quickly figure out what sort of complete set you can afford.
Pillar of the Community
United States
514 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like you've got a racket going on racketeer nickels moxking. Seriously, I wasn't planning on picking up any of those.

Good advice from all. Thanks much. I'll keep you posted as I proceed.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11618 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like you need a few of the semi-keys . Whatever you do ,try to stay with Full Liberty or very close to it . You'll be thankful you did .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
514 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good point T-Bop. I know I'm going to be a little more picky and I may upgrade a few of my lower grade common dates that I picked up years ago (when I was young and dumb).
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41482 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be easy to upgrade your 1895, 1896 and 1903 dates, but suggest you wait until you have a solid goal for the 3 keys.
Pillar of the Community
United States
514 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something tells me I may be more successful if I get everything except the three keys done first. That way I can show my wife how close I am to a complete set and she might not freak as much when I tell her how much money I need to drop to get those last three coins.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41482 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You'll get all kinds of advice on this subject, but to me, the sense of pride and accomplishment in owning a key is a feeling you just can't beat.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18574 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice set when completed.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05