Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

About Being Open Minded When You Research A Coin Id:

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
580 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  7:47 pm Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Boy I always disliked groups who have an agenda and look for data to prove a theory instead of just accepting data as data and letting the facts lead you to a conclusion. Industry says they are clean and commission studies to find evidence they don't hurt the environment. Green Peace says the industry folks are dirty polluters and commission studies to prove the industry is just plain old bad. Truth is down the middle but there are no honest cops left anywhere it seems in our society.

So why was I today so married to the notion of a particular ID that I was forcing the city Adranon to show me a coin with my specifications? Fact is if you can't make the size and weight match you have a problem and once I stepped back and accepted this was hopeless after 20 minutes, along comes the obvious perfect match of Tauromenion in 30 seconds. I just need to take my own advice more often and be open minded!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4204 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad you found it. Patience is sometimes needed, as well.
Learn More...
United States
22670 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Joe, I understand the idea behind this thread, but IMO your first paragraph has nothing to do with what you are trying to say. I am a retired Federal Law Enforcement Office (LEO-COP) and I found your comment after cops a bit offensive. I am sure you had no malice, but sometimes we need to choose our words better. I left the comment alone just to be fair.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
580 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Echizento:

First let me apologize, second, I sincerely had no idea the phrase "it's a fair cop" was derogatory to law enforcement and I was speaking from that perspective when I said "honest cop" for systems that have or don't have bias. In my whole life it a fair cop has been a phrase that people have always used and no one was ever speaking of Police Officers, just anecdotal to a system if it was biased or not. And where I was from in the east coast tri state area I did use variations of that phrase and will not anymore. So again I am sorry and you can look below where I probably inherited the use from. And you have my word I'll just pull this completely from my choice of words in the future.

https://english.stackexchange.com/q...s-a-fair-cop
Learn More...
United States
22670 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  05:43 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Joe no apology necessary, I had never heard that expression before so you can understand how it might offend.

I agree with your statement about being opened minded within our hobby.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2697 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think there is a natural bias toward the more familiar, i.e. "does this look like something I recognize" and only when that fails do we think more broadly and do the more painstaking research that's sometime required. Maybe it's a kind of laziness, but I think it's how the mind sometime works.

I think it also applies to your opening comment. It is much easier to go with GUILTY! or INNOCENT! than to try and understand shades of gray on some of those issues.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
580 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  08:52 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Echizento:

I have been trying to remove so many of my past analogies (which I seemed to have spoken with as a crutch for so many circumstances) but even this week I ran into two that were carefully packed into an obscure circumstance I don't often reference so they were still present. Teaching a year of general chemistry in 10 weeks the students get upset with grades with 2 hour lectures and 4 hour labs in one day, at a chapter a day. But I wanted to express they hate the process but like the outcome when it is finally over and they have a grade and are back on track for the school year to take organic chemistry. So I said, "you know it is like making sausage, everyone likes sausage but no one likes how it is made". Well suffice to say a great many don't like murdering animals in my class and hate the idea of sausage completely and told me so. Then to figure out the concentration of a strong acid that ionizes 100% you say, "If you have 2 Molar HCl what are the concentrations of H plus and Cl minus?" They often say 1 molar each and you correct them if they do and say, "No if you have 2 molar HCl you have 2 Molar in H plus and 2 Molar in Cl minus. Think of dancing couples, if you have two couples you don't have one boy and one girl, you have two couples with two boys and two girls" Suffice to say couples are not just boys and girls in their world and they hated that analogy. I am starting to think if I live long enough and teach into my 80's there will be a time when they just have to send me away as most of what I say may offend. But I am trying to take all analogies away unless they are completely safe for this new world.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2697 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I teach the idea that you need bifunctional molecules to do many polymerizations by having students come up to the front of the room and hold hands with the student who has previously added to the "polymer." Of course I start the whole process by asking a student to come up and hold hands with me
I haven't been reported yet
Edited by tdziemia
07/20/2019 11:12 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05