Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Shows Us Those Overgraded Slabs From Major Companies

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
Canada
169 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

PCGS F-15, realistically VG-10 at the very best, closer to a VG-8

Though not an extreme example I think what gets my goat on this one is the price difference (about $100 in VG-8 to about $325 in F-15) and the fact that it's on a lower grade coin where the differences in grades is so large, unlike when you get to higher grades where one or two contact marks could be all the difference.
Valued Member
United States
261 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  06:53 am  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree on the Newfy 10 cent - only VG. Full ear should show on a F. Here is a link to what a fine should look like

http://coinsandcanada.com/coins-gra...ia&id=69#F12

from coinsandCanada.com
Valued Member
Canada
455 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dime is clearly a VG and one more reason not to purchase Canadian and especially our maritime coins in American slabs. I see overgraded Newfoundland coins in US slabs constantly on eBay and the price differences make such buys financially prohibitive.
Valued Member
Canada
169 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I agree on the Newfy 10 cent - only VG. Full ear should show on a F. Here is a link to what a fine should look like

http://coinsandcanada.com/coins-gra...ia&id=69#F12

from coinsandCanada.com

Though the example on coins and Canada does look cleaned it does show the proper amount of details that should be present on a F-12 example.

Quote:
The dime is clearly a VG and one more reason not to purchase Canadian and especially our maritime coins in American slabs. I see overgraded Newfoundland coins in US slabs constantly on eBay and the price differences make such buys financially prohibitive.

I do feel it only appropriate to add that our northern graders can be just as, if not even more lousy when it coins to grading.

Case and point http://goccf.com/t/329288

That being said I find that newfoundland coinage is getting harder to find for reasonable prices as I see many ICCS VF-30s halves getting cut out and coming back as EF-45s, obviously cleaned halves coming back as straight grades, not even being netted down, just graded as if the were not cleaned at all. (This is where I have taken the most notice in US TPG over grading, in relation to what I'm interested in numismaticly).

Examples: heavy wear on the hair braid that is more in common of a VF example, and an obvious cleaning

Aside from having the wear of a coin closer to VF-25, how this coin made it into a straight grade holder is far beyond me.

This looks like it had a date with a wire brush, yet straight graded https://www.cdncoin.com/product-p/957025997662.htm

A nice honest textbook EF coin? Better grade it AU.

https://www.cdncoin.com/product-p/960050997781.htm

I generally only use TPGS for authentication and marketing purposes, But I still find it a bit unfortunate that because of these lax grading standards it seems like acctually nice coins are getting more difficult to find.

What I mean is, I wish it was as simple as buying a coin graded EF-40 by a reputable TPG meant that you were getting an EF-40 coin, but now it can mean anything from a mid VF with "good eye appeal" to an EF-45 that has a light cleaning, But then it's not that simple as what is considered 'damage' or 'cleaned' seems to become more and more lenient.

I find it gets even worse as you get to the AU and higher grades, but this comment is long enough as is.
Valued Member
United States
261 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  09:59 am  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It seems like there are more over-graded slab coins on eBay than accurately graded ones. I believe the reason for that is correctly graded ones are "keepers" and the rest get listed at usually way above what they are worth. I do like the auctions with low starting bids even for coins in slabs. I figure what I think the grade is and bid accordingly.

One seller has grossly over-graded Canada & Newfy raw coins but they usually sell for less than one grade lower so the bidders know what is going on.

Please offer grading opinions on the 1900 dime I posted above.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2262 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2019  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NGC 1881-H 25c AU...............

Edited by doubleeagle59
12/17/2019 7:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2262 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2019  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another one.............

1935 PCGS ms66.

Although it's not a large overgrade, it is an obvious one and an expensive one to make.

The mark in the field in front of the King's nose is a slam dunk maximum ms65 at ICCS.

This is also a great example of PCGS not grading this wrong (as it is an ms66 at PCGS) but illustrates the differences between them and ICCS.

Valued Member
Canada
206 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Montgomery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got this one ICCS MS-64 which for me is not a MS-64 first by the deep marks on the queen head near the eye. The picture don't show it but some important scratches are found in front and rear of the neck. This is my personal impressions about this one. I got it for a good price but the small jewel variety at first.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1011 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  01:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I understand things correctly, the images of both these 1 dollar coins is a perfect example of the difference between ICCS and PCGS, where ICCS is very strict on the fields and PCGS is very strict on marks on the bust. An important distinction to note.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05