Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

$20 Notes With Identical Binary S/N

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
574 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  4:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cashhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently acquired these 2 notes with the same series and serial numbers (acquired about 2 months apart). I've searched the internet for their value with no luck. Hopefully those with more knowledge in this area than myself can help.

-The upper note was issued directly from our local bank with several other sequential notes. I would grade it a CU note.

-The lower note was purchased through an online auction. I would grade it a AU note.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3403 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably worth more as a pair than individuals. Even at that I doubt the pair would get any more than $100 unless they both graded GEM CU.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2210 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  03:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They look great together Frank, congratulations bud.
Pillar of the Community
United States
574 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cashhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The one from the bank cost $20. The other $48.
Edited by cashhound
07/23/2019 09:42 am
Valued Member
United States
418 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hozer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice set
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39352 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That combo cost works! Congrats.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  04:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice set.
Pillar of the Community
United States
574 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  06:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cashhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
guyz!
But can anyone tell me it's approximate value? Heck, I'm not even sure that I'm calling it by it's proper name.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2210 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  06:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not even sure that I'm calling it by it's proper name.

When the notes are viewed individually, they're in the "Almost" category which is a close cousin of the "Interesting " category.

When the notes are viewed together, they're in the " Matching Serial Number " category.

I'll withhold my opinion about the use of the term binary serial number.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39352 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I wouldn't value them at more than $30-40 each.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39352 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Further, the binary question is an endless argument with no answer that is satisfactory to all.

Webster's first two definitions for binary:

1) (General) - Something made up of two things or parts.

2) (Mathematics) - Numbering system based only on the numerals 0 and 1.

Last word on the subject!

Edited by Coinfrog
07/24/2019 7:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I won't say anything about "binary" but to me this is a case of the product is more than the sum of its parts. How much more...well... dunno. The serials are pretty cool, no doubt, and together I think they are a very attractive pair. Maybe list the pair for $100 or $120 and see if you get any bites. That's a wild-ass guess for sure.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39352 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2019  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could see that.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05