Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are These Any More Simple Campgates Than This Arcadius?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  7:43 pm Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is extremely simple for design. Were there more simple structures with less lines?

12mm, 1.26g Arcadius Nummus Thessalonica, AD 383-388.
D N ARCADIVS P F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right / GLORIA REI PVBLICAE, camp gate with no doors and two turrets; [TES] in exergue. RIC 62c.

Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks right to me and yes a very simple design. Example on Wildwinds is very similar in design and detail.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Travelcoin;

Thanks! I was kind of wondering actually if anyone knew of a more simple Campgate or is this as simple as they got? Like this Campgate below is very busy with many lines from Constantine II. So I was thinking on the opposite of the scale is a coin like my Arcadius with very few lines. But were there even simpler ones that was pretty much just a door and frame for example?

Edited by louisvillekyshop
07/23/2019 4:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4176 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is very basic - it seems Valentinian III actually improved coinage quality with his CASTA/VOTA PVB/ROMA campgate issue!

I've never come across a barbarous imitation of the campgate series myself, but here's one from the web that gives that a run for its money:

The celators sometimes put an unusual amount of effort into their campgates, which leads to some very rare but very interesting varieties. I think the most interesting are the ones rendered in 3D perspective, though they arent typically finely detailed:
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
louisville, I actually picked up an "Unofficial contemporary counterfeit" of a Constantine camp gate. Thread Title: A Peculiar Constantine I Follis - What Mint?

Ben you actually had a very good reply on it.

Edited by travelcoin
07/24/2019 08:04 am
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ben;

That pretty much wins this game! Your post is just about a door and frame! And I love the 3D structures! Considering how long it was before artists figures out perspective in paintings any early attempt is quite commendable on the part of the artist.

Travelcoin:

I would think with the unlimited collecting possibilities for official late Roman coins, a person might just collect contemporary counterfeits and be able to actually master that area in a lifetime.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05