Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Sorry, We Don't Take Cash..."

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
627 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey JimNWLincoln I see you went to a devil rays game. They are the only team that does not accept cash at all.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16329 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Condor. If a business only wants to accept specific forms of payment they have every right to do so. There is no law that fiat paper must be accepted.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1376 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Being that my friend and I were hungry and it was the only option, we didn't complain. It was in the center of the airport, so it wasn't exactly a brick and mortar store. We were lucky to find it.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
12261 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wasn't there a court case here in the us recently or semi recently against a business that did not take cash and it was ruled illegal because it discriminates against people that do not have nor can get any cards.

There's no federal mandate, but some cities have passed laws against it
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tampabaygrampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Tampa Bay Rays have advertised they are now cashless. Credit/debit card only.
I haven't been to a game yet but it would not deter me from going. Life changes.
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Years ago we had the power go out in NY for a day or two. No cards, only cash accepted. If you wanted to pump gas you were out of luck though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1315 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The note says it is legal tender for all debt public or private but that does NOT mean they HAVE to accept it. True they should make the fact they don't take cash plain upfront. If you offer the cash they can decline it and if you try to leave without coming to a different arrangement to settle the debt they could call security. The offer of legal tender IS a legal attempt to settle the debt, but they DO have the right to decline it and request a different method of settling it. And you DO still owe the debt.

I think that "debt" is the key word here. If someone indicates up front that they don't take cash and therefore will not allow a purchase, a debt has not been created. However, if the debt has already been created, they'll have no choice but to accept the cash payment because they'll have no recourse if you pay them. For example, if someone said that you owe $5 and you gave them $5 cash and walked away, they'd have an impossible time charging you with stealing.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12261 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
However, if the debt has already been created, they'll have no choice but to accept the cash payment because they'll have no recourse if you pay them.

There's precedent for this such as someone trying to pay hundreds in pennies for a ticket. The basic premise is certainly correct that if someone came in with a reasonable payment for a debt you won't get arrested, but it is important to remember that not all cash is equal. You can generally avoid interest and fines but you don't have a right to show up with a pickup truck of pennies and demand they take it
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right, and such tactics only hurt the people processing (or attempting to process) the transaction; it doesn't matter to the business at all and doesn't "get back" at anyone.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1315 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well it does cost the government agency or business additional labor to process the coins and the person processing the coins are generally paid by the hour, so I don't see how they're hurt. If it helps take some of the profit out of an involuntary debt, I can see why someone would be motivated to do it in certain situations.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They're paying staff by the hour, true, but (I assume) it's not like they staff up or keep people much longer to handle situations like that. So the poor guy in line behind Joe Schmoe with the vendetta gets to wait while they deal with the nonsense.

Regardless... In every instance that I've read of someone trying to settle a large fine with barrels of cents, they've (rightfully) been denied or told they can only pay $25/ day max that way or something.
Learn More...
United States
75020 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2019  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and the person processing the coins are generally paid by the hour
Would you rather spend the hour processing normal payment transactions or counting pennies?

Wait...

Searching pennies...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12261 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2019  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They're paying staff by the hour, true, but (I assume) it's not like they staff up or keep people much longer to handle situations like that.

Exactly, the hourly workers were going to be there either way so there isn't any extra cost as they don't call extra people in or give overtime for it. The poor person that has to deal with it will just end up taking shorter breaks and working harder the next couple days to catch up if they fell behind on any work from it.

I can kind of understand someone doing it if it was a big issue they wanted media attention for, but most of the time they're just wasting hours of their time and a lot more money collecting all the pennies to bring and hurting themselves more than anything.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12261 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2019  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would you rather spend the hour processing normal payment transactions or counting pennies?

Wait...

Searching pennies...

I think you might change your mind after your first thousand circulated memorial/shield cents when you have another 10k+ left to count
Learn More...
United States
75020 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2019  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think you might change your mind after your first thousand circulated memorial/shield cents when you have another 10k+ left to count
Touché.

I guess it depends on how die hard one is about V/E searching. I am not.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05