Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Valens Bronze, Siscia Mint

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4029 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  10:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Flavius Julius Valens has gone down in history as the loser of the Battle of Adrianople, a profound catastrophe, and his death there marked a turning point for the fortunes of the entire empire.

While I don't normally bother too much with Roman coinage from these later periods, I thought this specimen more attractive than most. I have it as RIC IX 5b (Sear 19745).

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
4501 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super detail, nice even patina, no blemishes, and a great reverse. Well done.
Learn More...
United States
22662 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice detail.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4029 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2019  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Came across another Valens bronze today, this one struck at the Aquileia mint.

What's interesting is that on the reverse atop the labarum is pretty obviously a chi-rho symbol (or, if you prefer, specifically a chrisnon or sigla, and more generally a christogram). Also, to the right of the labarum pole is another symbol, which perhaps is supposed to be a tau-rho (or staurogram, considered to constitute a rudimentary form of the crucifix). It's most certainly not a dot within a crescent.

On account of the discrepancy with regard to this second marking, it's not clear to me how well this specimen conforms to RIC IX 7b, which otherwise seems to be the closest match.

Looking more closely at the specimen with which I started this topic, it may also be that the labatum bears the chi-rho, albeit not so well formed nor consequently as readily recognizable.

Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
07/30/2019 01:38 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2683 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2019  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins.
I'm pretty ignorant about ancients, but am curious what was the earliest use of the chi rho symbol on coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4029 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2019  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm...curious what was the earliest use of the chi rho symbol on coins.

This topic is covered very comprehensively here: http://numisology.com/Early_Christian_coins.htm

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
556 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2019  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a great example - I once had an excellent one and over cleaned it. Did one of my experiments and buried it. A year later I couldn't find it. Busted out the metal detector and everything it's still missing. The search is still on
Pillar of the Community
United States
4029 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2019  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one more Valens I picked up today, once again struck at the Aquileia mint. A very ordinary type with lots of minor variations. I'm not sure if this one'd slot in as RIC IX 9 or RIC IX 12. Although the Victory goddess/personification was a longstanding pagan motif, some of these did add a chi-rho in the reverse field. This specimen, with plain fields and the SMAQP mint mark isn't represented precisely on Wildwinds.

Colligo ergo sum
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2019  01:51 am  Show Profile   Check Victor's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Victor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also, to the right of the labarum pole is another symbol, which perhaps is supposed to be a tau-rho (or staurogram, considered to constitute a rudimentary form of the crucifix). It's most certainly not a dot within a crescent.

To the right of the labarum is B over
Pillar of the Community
United States
4029 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2019  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
To the right of the labarum is B over

The incompleteness of the "B" threw me, but now I can see that it is indeed that and not a tau-rho. RIC IX 9b, type iii exhibits a "B" over a dot but with the mint mark SMAQS. RIC IX 9b, type ii(a) has the correct mint mark, but no mention of the dot below the "B". My specimen clearly falls in somewhere amongst these minor variations.

Colligo ergo sum
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2019  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Check Victor's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Victor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not sure if this one'd slot in as RIC IX 9 or RIC IX 12

RIC 9 and 12 are exactly the same. The only distinction is that RIC 9 was issued before the elevation of Gratian and RIC 12 after.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05