Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Constans Bronze, Alexandria Mint

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3897 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  11:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A later Roman coin that normally I might not bother with, but I thought this one to be awfully well preserved, plus I'm a sucker for left facing portraits. I have it as RIC VIII 64.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
4333 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Outstanding.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1215 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that is lovely!
"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15632 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the best LRB's I have seen in a while
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5665 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful! I've struggled with finding a nice Constans bronze - they are a lot harder to find than his older bro Constantius II.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Learn More...
United States
22484 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent detail, super patina.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1707 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2019  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice indeed.

I have a few of this type from Alexandria for Constans and a Constantius but none as nice as yours.

I have otehrs from other mints too but won't kill the rhread by sharing them
Pillar of the Community
United States
3897 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2019  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a few of this type from Alexandria for Constans and a Constantius but none as nice as yours.

I wouldn't be at all apologetic about this quintet you've posted, I'd judge them all as qualifying as top notch specimens.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1707 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2019  07:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a small sample from some other mints (I have load but won't inflict some of the lower interest coins).

Siscia:-

Antioch:-

This one is an oddity:-

Constantius II - AE2 - RIC VIII Aquileia -

Obv:- D N CONSTANTIVS P F AVG, Pearl diademed, draped & cuirassed bust left, holding globe in right hand, N in right field
Rev:- FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Emperor bare headed & in military dress standing, holding standard with chi-rho on banner in his right hand, resting left hand on shield, two bound captives in Phrygian helmets standing, facing each other before him
Minted in Aquileia (//AQP Dot)
Reference:- RIC VIII Aquileia -

Looking at RIC there are three issues for this type at Aquileia.

The first has no letters on either side. The captives are described as standing and would have AQP:dot: in exe. - RIC VIII Aquileia 107

The next two both have N behind the bust and an N in the left field on the reverse with the captives described as kneeling.

With AQP in exe this would be RIC VIII Aquileia 119 and with AQP* in exe this would be RIC VIII Aquileia 120

My example seems to be a mule from the later issues with letter behind the bust and the earlier issue with the captives standing but with no letter on the reverse

Rome:-

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05