Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

4th Century Bc Selge Obol

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4037 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  11:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
At the time, Selge was an important city in the Pisidia region of Asia Minor. About 9 mm across, with the weight coming in at .91 of a gram. I paid a bit more for this than I might normally but I thought it was extraordinarily well preserved and almost perfectly struck.

Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
07/23/2019 11:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1241 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, a very nice example.
"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13957 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting. Do you know what is the object behind Athena's (?) helmet crest?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Edited by Spence
07/23/2019 11:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4037 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you know what is the object behind Athena's (?) helmet crest?

Earbuds (for her iotaPhone).

I'll be here all week. Try the salmon.

Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
07/24/2019 09:39 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4516 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coin.

Quote:
...the object behind Athena's (?) helmet crest?

See:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/n...y=Astragalos
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5748 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent example! These come in a fairly wide variety of styles, making me wonder if they were indeed all made in the purported 350-300 BC time frame, or if some are a lot older or newer. Selge is interesting in that it was defensible enough that none of the great empires managed to conquer it - they entered into the Roman empire on their own terms through a peaceful treaty.

Mine is of a later style; some have questioned whether the facing figure is a Gorgon, or Helios.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Learn More...
United States
22671 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice well struck example.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4037 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Mine is of a later style...

I thought my specimen was pretty hot stuff until I saw yours, which clearly looks to be in yet another tier above mine.

Colligo ergo sum
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13957 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2019  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thx @bobl--I'm not sure that I would have guessed a sheep knuckle...
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05