Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2008 P DDO? Or Clash? State Quarter Alaska

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,349Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2517 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2019  09:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ear lobe is either a strong double ear or clash.

I am leaning toward a clash. If a clash, it seems to travel along the jaw line.
Thoughts?

Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2019  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add demelone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The lines behind the jaw below the ear looks like they may line up with the fur on the bear right jaw (when the coin is flipped). So you may be correct about a clash. It also appears to have doubling behind the ear, but doesn't conform to Wexler's listing for that quarter.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2517 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2019  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the response demelone.

What looks like a clash down the jaw line could possibly be the bear's fur.
I need to find me an overlay.

EDIT: Maybe the double ear may also be part of the bear's fur.

Edited by levelsofmadnes
07/28/2019 10:47 am
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2019  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably most likely a Die Clash.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2517 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2019  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Errers and Varietys

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54566 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2019  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an overlay with close ups of the central area:

Looks like it is part of a clash. Part of the fur of the bear.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2517 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2019  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop,

I will make a copy of the overlay for future ref.

Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2019  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hole_in_pocket to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow, good catch!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54566 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2019  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something I forgot to mention is location of the affected area. Most of the time the clash mark target areas are in the center part of the die. They are where the fields touch during a clash. So the highest points on the coin seldom get affected during a clash. But on this coin the field area is next to the neck area, so this area transferred during the clash, to the opposite die. First time I've seen this here before. But always nice to know that area can be affected. Good eyes Levels.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
United States
2517 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2019  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop,

Here is another one... same bank roll.

different coin

EDIT: Oops wrong thread

Edited by levelsofmadnes
07/28/2019 3:38 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54566 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2019  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well it is not a clash mark. I feel it is a feeder finger issue, but the direction is different than normal. The lines seem to straight to be a die gouge. But hang onto to it. It is the first one of these I've seen.
Richard S. Cooper

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  12:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Karen H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Coop I know this is a dormant posting, but I have the same thing and your response that began, 'Something I forgot to mention...', what do you mean by what you're saying there, please. Idky I can't seem to grasp your point. I think you're saying that most Die Clashes don't involve the center of a Coin, but the only ones I've seen that's where they've been, so I'm just not grasping it and I want to because on mt AK Quarter, it's the same as this except there's stuff inside Washington's ear and between the back of his head and the Motto. Also has a Spiked Head and the extra claw. But I'm most interested in having your comment explained, please?
Heck, I hope you even see my request after all this time or are even still in this Forum on a regular basis.

Thanks a bunch! - Karen
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54566 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  05:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The outline of the devices on the normal designs, are deeper into the die, the deeper the designs are, they will not be affected during a clash. But the special designs can affect obverse dies during a clash, as on this design, the design is not as deep (shallow) thus on this design, it does affect obverse die areas.
Richard S. Cooper

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Karen H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Sir. I see now what I failed to before.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,349Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: