Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your "Coins With Hands"

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 955 / Views: 36,099Next Topic
Page: of 64
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  07:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1936 York County, ME Tercentenary half dollar holds the title of "Smallest Hands" on a classic-era (1892-1954) US commemorative coin.

The scene on the coin's reverse depicts four men outside of Brown's Garrison, the first stockade built in the area of Saco, ME; picture them as the N-S-W-E positions of a compass. Three of the men are seen walking with their gun slung over their shoulder being held by their right hand (E and W positions) or left hand (N position), The other man (S position) is riding a horse and is using both of his hands to hold the horse's reins and guide it. All of the hands need magnification to be seen, but they're there waiting to be perused!

The coin was designed by noted wildlife artist Walter Rich of Portland, ME; the design was modeled directly into brass rather than the typical plaster by the GS Pacetti Company of Boston, MA (die-sinkers) - an unusual approach for US coins.

1936 York County, ME Tercentenary Half Dollar

For more information about the York County coin and its original holder/mailer, have a look at:

- 1936 York County Tercentenary
- 1936 York County Tercentenary - Revisited
- 1936 York County Tercentenary - Quick Bits
- 1936 York County Half Dollar - Coins Depicting Places Thread.

Other of my commemorative coin and medal posts can be found here: Read More: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
04/16/2021 08:01 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17826 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1960 Republica Argentina.
Un peso.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17826 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  05:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1969 Jamaica
1 Dollar wide legend letters

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  07:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are lots of active hands on the reverse of the 1936 commemorative half dollar that celebrates the centennial of the founding of the city of Elgin, IL. The Pioneer Memorial statue is the primary design element on the reverse, and each person depicted has his or her hands engaged in activity. The statue and the coin were designed by Trygve Rovelstad.

The statue presents a family being led through the American frontier by a scout. At the left is seen the scout; he is holding his long gun using both of his hands. Behind him is the father, using his right hand to motion toward something ahead of them while his left arm is around his young wife who is holding the couple's newborn in her arms. At the far right in the group is the older son of the family, he is shown holding a walking stick in his left hand as he looks behind the group, alert for possible danger. The artist intended the statue to symbolically present a young family as it made its way across the Illinois prairie to settle in the area that would become Elgin, IL.

Pioneer Memorial by Trygve Rovelstad - Elgin, IL

Image credit: Pioneer Monuments in the American West web site. Visit them at Pioneer Monuments in the American West for a great overview of American pioneer memorials.

(More about the statue and its long-overdue erection in Elgin can be found via the "Beards Thread" link below.):

The obverse of the coin presents the head of the scout seen in the statue; the scout is presented in profile, facing left.

1936 Elgin, IL Centennial Half Dollar

You can learn more about the Elgin half dollar here:

- 1936 Elgin, IL Centennial
- 1936 Elgin, IL Centennial - Revisited
- {1936 Elgin, IL Centennial - Coins with Beards Thread

More of my posts about commemorative coins and medals can be found here: Read More: Commems Collection

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17826 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tetricus I; Emperor of the Roman Empire from 271 - 274 A.D.,

Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The hands on the 1936 Cincinnati half dollar are found on the coin's reverse. The 50-cent piece commemorates the city's alleged 50th anniversary as a "Center of Music" and features a reverse design that is described as featuring the Goddess of Music holding a lyre, an instrument that dates to antiquity.

I've written before about the questionable Goddess of Music figure (see the Mythology Thread link below), but there isn't any doubt that the figure is holding a lyre. A lyre is a U-shaped, stringed instrument, with the number of strings typically ranging from four to ten; the lyre on the coin appears to have three strings, which was a less-common variant.

The female figure is shown cupping/holding the bottom of the lyre with her left hand and appears to be reaching to play the instrument with her right. The lyre of antiquity was an instrument that was either strummed, with or without a pick (think guitar), or plucked like a harp. From what I've read, strumming was the predominant method.

The coin's design is the work of Constance Ortmeyer, though Thomas G. Melish, businessman and coin marketer - the "man behind the coin" - was likely a major voice concerning design decisions for the coin.

1936 Cincinnati Music Center Anniversary Half Dollar

For more about the Cincinnati half dollar and an associated original holder (ephemera), have a look at:

- 1936 Cincinnati Music Center 50th Anniversary w/ Anniversary Legitimacy Discussion
- 1936 Cincinnati Music Center 50th Anniversary - Revisit
- 1936 Cincinnati Music Center 50th Anniversary - Ephemera
- 1936 Cincinnati Music Center 50th Anniversary - Coins Depicting Mythology Thread
- What if? 1937 Cincinnati Music Center Half Dollar

For other of my posts about commemorative coins and medals, see: Read More: Commems Collection.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17826 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1968 Estados Unidos Mexicanos.
25 Pesos Olympic Games.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm wrapping up my look at classic US commemorative coins featuring active hands in their designs with the coin that serves as my CCF avatar - the 1937 Roanoke Colony Memorial half dollar. The coin was issued to jointly commemorate the 350th anniversary of Sir Walter Raleigh's attempt at establishing a permanent colony on Roanoke Island, North Carolina, and the birth of Virginia Dare. Virginia was born on August 18, 1587.

I've previously looked at this coin's obverse for the "Coins with Beards" thread (see link below), but this time out I'll be looking at the half dollar's reverse and the standing figure of Ellinor Dare.

Ellinor, wife of Ananias Dare, is the central element of the coin's reverse design, she and her husband were members of the ill-fated Roanoke Colony. Ellinor is depicted holding Virginia, the first child born to English parents in the New World. Ellinor has her arms wrapped around Virginia with both of her hands visible - her left hand cradles the baby's bottom while her right is shown mid-body across the baby's torso. Virginia was the granddaughter of John White, the appointed governor of the colony. It was John who recruited his daughter Ellinor and her new husband Ananias to be part of the colony.

(Note: It is extremely unlikely that Virginia was the first baby of European parents to be born in what has become the United States. Spain had established settlements in present-day Florida decades before Sir Walter Raleigh's attempt at Roanoke (e.g., St. Augustine, 1565) and children were almost definitely born in these settlements. Virginia does, however, hold the "first to English parents" distinction.)

William Marks Simpson, of Baltimore, designed the coin. Simpson is also credited with developing the designs for the 1936 Norfolk Bicentennial/Tricentennial half dollar (along with his wife, Marjory Emory Simpson) and the 1937 Battle of Antietam 75th Anniversary half dollar.

1937 Roanoke Colony Memorial Half Dollar

I have made several posts about the 1937 Roanoke half dollar, you can check them out here:

- 1937 Roanoke Colony 350th Anniversary
- 1937 Roanoke Colony 350th Anniversary - Ephemera
- 1937 Roanoke Colony 350th Anniversary - Ephemera II
- 1937 Roanoke Colony 350th Anniversary - Avoiding Potential Religious Controversy
- 1937 Roanoke Colony 350th Anniversary - Guarding Against Unscrupulous Dealers
- 1937 Roanoke Colony 350th Anniversary - MS-65 Proof-like
- 1937 Roanoke Colony 350th Anniversary - A Bad Copy

For the "Beards" thread mentioned above, see:

- 1937 Roanoke Colony Memorial Half Dollar - Coins with Beards Thread.

For more of my posts about commemorative coins and medals, check out: Read More: Commems Collection.

Edited by commems
04/19/2021 10:30 pm
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17826 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1877 B Switzerland.
1 Franc.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17826 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1968 Switzerland
1 Franc Helvetia standing; copper-nickel

Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a 1997 silver dollar from Canada that commemorates the 25th anniversary of Canada's miraculous win over the USSR in the 1972 Summit Series of hockey.

The coin depicts the moment after Paul Henderson scored the winning goal in the final game of the series; it came after Canada had tied the score thou it trailed 5 to 3 entering the third period.

Lots of hands holding hockey sticks in the air as the celebration begins!

If you'd like to learn more about the silver dollar, check out:

- 1997 Canada-USSR Hockey Gift Set

For more posts about commemorative coins and medals, check out: Read More: Commems Collection.

Page: of 64 Previous TopicReplies: 955 / Views: 36,099Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05