Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Half Dollar Roll Hunting For Small-Timers (Not Box Hunting!)

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 4,903Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
5471 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2019  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Picked up two rolls from a local bank. These were machine-wrapped rolls with one end opened and folded over. So, I expected they had been searched and I would find nothing. I was surprised to find four sharp BU 2017-D coins which are the latest-dated NIFC coins I've seen so far. Not silver, but not quite a complete loss either. Good enough to keep the searching itch alive!

Learn More...
United States
99238 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5471 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Went to San Diego and took the opportunity to stop at several banks. My previous record for latest-date NIFC finds was broken when two 2018-D coins popped out.

Also found one 90%. You can never have too many 1964-Ds!

Then, there was this corroded 1968-D. The 80%Ag/20%Cu outer layers are quite prone to developing that green corrosion. The green tint indicates the "rust" comes from the copper component of the alloy.

These corroded pieces have no numismatic value so I use hot white vinegar to dissolve the copper corrosion products. This treatment usually improves the appearance without harming the silver content.

So, I picked up a few keepers. I'll take it!
Edited by Jaobler
10/06/2019 10:03 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
811 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add berto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jaobler, Great finds! I also search halves when I am vacationing. It is fun, and I find it more productive than searching locally. Enjoy!
Edited by berto
10/07/2019 12:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5471 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I check for halves at various banks a couple times per month on average. Most attempts don't produce any keepers and I don't bother to report those.

Went to several banks yesterday and found one $10 roll at a Wells Fargo on the other side of town. Scored 5 90% and 2 40%. Too bad I can't achieve a 7 out of 20 keeper ratio on a regular basis!

Learn More...
United States
99238 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Went to several banks yesterday and found one $10 roll at a Wells Fargo on the other side of town. Scored 5 90% and 2 40%. Too bad I can't achieve a 7 out of 20 keeper ratio on a regular basis!
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5471 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Been a long time since I had anything good to report but I got lucky at a bank today.
A teller reported she had $160 in halves in the vault so I bought them all. This was the motley collection of rolls I received.

One roll was solid 1971-D Kennedys, all choice BU. Three other rolls were ordinary mixed Cu-Ni clad, with a single 1969-D silver-clad among them.

The remaining rolls had some cryptic writing on them, like "new '64" and "67 New New". Seemed promising!
Well, they were all solid silver, with a total of 102 1964 and 1964-D coins and 138 silver-clads from 1965 to 1969-D. Most of these appear to be BU, most with cloudy haze on top of original luster.

By my calculations that's a total of 57.45 troy ounces of silver in one fell swoop. Best roll search I've had in at least 15 years.

Think I'll grab a beer!

Learn More...
United States
99238 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2235 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, Jaobler! That is quite the haul! Congrats!
CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cabowabo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great haul congrats
Pillar of the Community
United States
1257 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Silver Searcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jaobler, wonderful score!

This is inspirational, especially to someone like me who hasn't really looked at halves in recent years. I love the idea of this thread, and I really hope it takes off - I don't have the resources to buy tons of halves at once. It's really nice to see people who search them in smaller amounts.

What kind of arrangement do you have with banks to cash your rejects in? I imagine even a few half dollars is an odd sight for most bank tellers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5471 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very minor find compared with my last score, but after depositing a check at a local Chase I asked for halves. They had $4.50 worth which included this decent AU silver-clad:

Quote:
What kind of arrangement do you have with banks to cash your rejects in?

Not a problem for us small-timers! I accumulate my regular small change along with reject halves, roll it all up, and take it in whenever it adds up to $100 or more. No teller has ever complained to me about accepting these deposits.
Learn More...
United States
99238 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They had $4.50 worth which included this decent AU silver-clad:
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5471 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2021  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bought $360 in rolls at a local Citibank. Teller said they had been there awhile but it wasn't the mother lode I was hoping for. Did pull 4 silver-clad plus several nice 2017-D coins. Could be worse!
Learn More...
United States
99238 Posts
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 4,903Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05