Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Half Dollar Roll Hunting For Small-timers (Not Box Hunting!)

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
5141 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2019  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Picked up two rolls from a local bank. These were machine-wrapped rolls with one end opened and folded over. So, I expected they had been searched and I would find nothing. I was surprised to find four sharp BU 2017-D coins which are the latest-dated NIFC coins I've seen so far. Not silver, but not quite a complete loss either. Good enough to keep the searching itch alive!

Learn More...
United States
82222 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5141 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Went to San Diego and took the opportunity to stop at several banks. My previous record for latest-date NIFC finds was broken when two 2018-D coins popped out.

Also found one 90%. You can never have too many 1964-Ds!

Then, there was this corroded 1968-D. The 80%Ag/20%Cu outer layers are quite prone to developing that green corrosion. The green tint indicates the "rust" comes from the copper component of the alloy.

These corroded pieces have no numismatic value so I use hot white vinegar to dissolve the copper corrosion products. This treatment usually improves the appearance without harming the silver content.

So, I picked up a few keepers. I'll take it!
Edited by Jaobler
10/06/2019 10:03 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
793 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add berto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jaobler, Great finds! I also search halves when I am vacationing. It is fun, and I find it more productive than searching locally. Enjoy!
Edited by berto
10/07/2019 12:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5141 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I check for halves at various banks a couple times per month on average. Most attempts don't produce any keepers and I don't bother to report those.

Went to several banks yesterday and found one $10 roll at a Wells Fargo on the other side of town. Scored 5 90% and 2 40%. Too bad I can't achieve a 7 out of 20 keeper ratio on a regular basis!

Learn More...
United States
82222 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Went to several banks yesterday and found one $10 roll at a Wells Fargo on the other side of town. Scored 5 90% and 2 40%. Too bad I can't achieve a 7 out of 20 keeper ratio on a regular basis!
Excellent!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05