Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1889 P Morgan Dollar - VAM Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1707 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2019  12:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dbrablec to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
i am very new to Morgan dollars, and VAM designation. I recently purchased two morgans from a local pawn shop.

i ave been trying to identify any VAM designation.

can any tell if this 1889P - could be VAM-7 high 9.

i can try for better pictures - if anyone is interested.

thanks.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8947 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2019  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a far date position. A close-up image of the date and the ear (any doubling?) would be helpful.

Member SSDC, TNA
Pillar of the Community
United States
1707 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2019  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dbrablec to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you.
I might have time tomorrow to get more images.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
796 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2019  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would you be willing to post high resolution closeup photos of the areas I have circled below? Thank you!

Edited by fortcollins
08/06/2019 9:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1707 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2019  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dbrablec to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure ... but I can not until tomorrow
Pillar of the Community
United States
1707 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2019  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dbrablec to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
photos added..
i hope these are acceptable..
thank you...

Pillar of the Community
United States
8947 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2019  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I might be able to help out with a close up of the date and the ear.
Member SSDC, TNA
Pillar of the Community
United States
1707 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2019  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dbrablec to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you.
I will try to do that by tomorrow.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
796 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2019  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first thing I saw in the original photos was an apparent clash mark on the obverse, just to the left of Liberty's neck.

The later photos show a clashed "N" from IN in front of Liberty's neck. The clash is partial and weak. There is also a weak die crack from the first left star through the truncation of Liberty's neck to the point of the "1" in the date. There is no die break on the eagle's left wing (our visual right). There are weak clash marks in the cotton blossoms and branch clutched in the eagle's right talon (our visual left).

My gut tells me this may be 1889 P VAM-19B1.
Edited by fortcollins
08/08/2019 10:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8947 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2019  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Attributing 1889-P begins with the date position and the ear doubling (or absence thereof). Let's confirm the date position and go from there.
Member SSDC, TNA
Pillar of the Community
United States
1707 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dbrablec to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow...thanks for the insights...

i haven't had time to try for better images...

i will add the suggesting images as soon as I have time....

thank you...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1707 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dbrablec to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
close up image of the dataed and ear added....
thanks for helping...

Pillar of the Community
United States
8947 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have a far date position with doubling in the ear and possibly on the ear lobe similar to VAM-21. I'm not convinced it is a 21 however. Check the listings that run from VAM-3 to VAM-61 on the attached link. http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.c...89-P_Obverse(Far Date w/Doubled Ear)
Member SSDC, TNA
Edited by dave700x
08/16/2019 07:26 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05