Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Gallery Of Ancient Bronze Weaponry From Western Asia

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
4701 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2019  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Ron. Perhaps, though, not as impressive as some of the elaborately wrapped grips of Echizen swords.
Learn More...
United States
22810 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2019  12:58 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think a 3000 year old hilt would beat a 600 year old Japans sword hilt hands down. Especially if it was used in combat, there is so much more history there.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
146 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2019  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope this thread continues to grow, as I find the subject fascinating. The essay is clear and very informative, and the gallery of bronze weaponry is awesome. I have never seen the like of some of these blades and hilts before.

I have a few arrowheads, and tried to identify them from the images in the gallery, but some are either outwith the time period and region, or they are possibly fake.

Just a thought, but it has already been mentioned that a warrior's sword would be buried with him for use in the afterlife. In the making of a blade for a mighty warrior (which would take months) it took on it's own spirit, so man and blade could become one. In some cultures when the warrior was buried, the blade was purposely bent and buried with him, so that no one else could use it. They would be reunited intact in the afterlife.

A brilliant piece of work Bob. Thanks for sharing.

Jim
Pillar of the Community
United States
4701 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2019  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Jim. Interesting comments.

Feel welcome to post the arrowheads, either here in this thread or in a new one. I'd love to see them.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
146 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2019  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bob, if it's OK with the Mods I'd rather put the arrowheads in another thread, and leave this one for your work. It would be a shame to spoil this thread.

Jim
Pillar of the Community
United States
4701 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2019  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds good to me, Jim. The mods have been pretty patient with the posting of some antiquities, especially since they do provide some context for the coins. Hopefully that allowance will continue. Looking forward to seeing your arrowheads.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4701 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I finally got around to properly photographing and cataloging round two of my weapons acquisitions. For anyone who may be interested, descriptions of this round are at this link:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/bo...en#msg732249

The direct link to the gallery is here:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/ga...p?album=7069

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14747 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  05:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1721 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice Bob....I found it really interesting reading through your gallery.
I also noticed that a large number of your pieces have excellent provenance as well.
Your photographic skills are pretty impressive too....
An outstanding collection Bob! Congratulations Paul
Pillar of the Community
United States
4701 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, guys. Yes, Paul, I look for items with strong provenance when possible. Thanks especially for the nice comment about the photography. I am certainly trying my best, despite using a pretty old camera with limited capability. It's a process - and is particularly challenging when I try to collage images that include some close up details, as with the hilts and that recent sword purchase. I'm hoping that, after going to one of the pages in the gallery, people will realize they can again click on the image pic for a larger version to pop up. I've probably been pushing the Forum mods' patience to the limit with image sizes (they're not gigantic, but some are over 400 kb, which is large for the site). I have been wanting to show the details of the patinas, which can be interesting and, I think, attractive.
Learn More...
United States
22810 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bob, I always enjoy seeing you blades. It is a wonderful collection with a lot of history behind it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4701 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Ron.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
146 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An impressive work - even more impressive with round two.

As others have previously mentioned, your photographic skills are second to none Bob.

Jim
Pillar of the Community
United States
4701 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Jim. Naw, my photo work is at best adequate given the old camera I'm using. That's not false modesty. My shots are better than some, I suppose, but quite inferior to so many I see posted. I do what I can.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 10.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05