Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Gallery Of Ancient Bronze Weaponry From Western Asia

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 109 / Views: 6,521Next Topic
Page: of 8
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2557 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's still got blood on it Bob!...I assume a wooden or bone handle?...Great photography skills...The actual overall form of the blade does look different to the majority in your collection...Nice pick up...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
755 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very nice pickup indeed, Bob. Superb condition too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6273 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, gents.

Not sure what type of grip the blade would have been inserted into, Paul. Haven't seen any speculation about this in the very limited coverage this type has gotten in the literature. I do notice, in the few current listings of this type (below), that each seems to have a transverse marking at the same location - the area where, on my blade, the dark gray meets the green patina. I cannot figure out how any grip would accommodate the curved wings...perhaps they stuck out the sides? Or perhaps they were entirely contained within the grip, somehow facilitating the connection between the parts rather than serving an aesthetic function? Your guess is as good as mine with this stuff.

Edited by Bob L
01/28/2022 7:40 pm
Learn More...
United States
23216 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ohh very nice pick-up @bob! Those short proximal spikes look especially ouchie.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
6273 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Dave. BTW, read your KOINON article. Outstanding work.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6273 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2022  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a very rare dagger that I have managed to add to my collection.

It is from western Iran, possibly from Elam or Luristan, and dates to the late 3rd to early 2nd millennium BC. It features a broad, leaf-shaped blade made separately from the hilt. The hilt is cast hollow and features decoration in relief (well worn), and the guard is curved. Below are some pics of similarly shaped (but mostly much nicer) daggers from various references that I regularly use: Manouchehr Moshtagh Khorasani's Arms and Armor from Iran (left), P. R. S. Moorey's Catalogue of the Ancient Persian Bronzes in the Ashmolean Museum (center), and Houshang Mahboubian's Art of Ancient Iran (right). The far right dagger from Mahboubian is probably closest to my modest example.

Learn More...
United States
23691 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2022  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful dagger. Was this the one that you had to wait so long to get?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6273 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2022  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Ron, this is the one. Took quite a while to arrive. And, now there's another blade en route that seems delayed and may have to be tracked down (in the Netherlands). Collecting this stuff ain't for folks in a hurry.
Learn More...
United States
23216 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2022  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is stunning Bob. Since the hilt is hollow, is the balance point actually on the proximal part of the blade?
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
6273 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2022  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave, the balance point seems to be on the blade side of the guard (just above the guard in my pics). The tang, which is embedded in the grip, is likely pretty thick and heavy, serving as a counterbalance to the blade. You get a view of an exposed tang in the leftmost book image, on a specimen with a broken grip.
Learn More...
United States
23216 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2022  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok right I see that now. The heavy tang would help keep the weight in the wielder's hand. Thx!
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
755 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2022  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on another super addition to the armoury, Bob.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6273 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2022  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Jim.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2557 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2022  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely example Bob!...The point still intact..
The handle grip looks to still have some anti-slip detail?
Bob, how do you go about preserving these pieces?...
I've been following your recent additions to your pottery gallery too, "very nice"!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6273 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2022  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Paul. I don't do anything special regarding preservation, other than being sure to store them with silica gel desiccant cartridges nearby. I have a few pieces with some BD. The worst of the bunch I am keeping completely isolated from other metal pieces. (It's in a Plexi display box with pottery pieces - no other weaponry nearby). I need to do some picking and VerdiCare on that piece, but it's a project that will have to be added to my summer to-do's. Just no time to devote to it during the academic year - something I know you can appreciate.
Page: of 8 Previous TopicReplies: 109 / Views: 6,521Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: