Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1986 P LMC Are These Lathe Lines ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
1941 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  09:33 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 11997755 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hoping you folks can help me out with this one. Thank you for your help.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12716 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good question and I'm unsure of the answer to your question. I do like the slight MAD on the obv.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
23814 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  11:42 am  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the Copper plating cracked.
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
1973 D Lincoln Memorial cent With Recurring Die Subsidence Error Information. http://goccf.com/t/304624
Machine Doubling tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Die Deterioration Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/336470
Pillar of the Community
United States
1063 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Evan7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was say split plating issue.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1941 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 11997755 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks like the Copper plating cracked

I'm not referring to just the one jagged line. There are what looks like 10-12 ridges.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1698 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These lines appear to have their start within the letters of IN and terminate somewhere above the letters of WE. The arc that creates would not have its axis in the center of the coin which is where the axis point would be if they were lathe lines. These appear to be something other than lathe lines
Pillar of the Community
United States
1941 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 11997755 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Good question and I'm unsure of the answer to your question. I do like the slight MAD on the obv

Thank you Spence. I researched a little and they don't really look like Lathe lines. Not sure what it is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1941 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 11997755 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These appear to be something other than lathe lines

I agree...Wondering if it might be a planchet issue.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39068 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lathe lines are circular in shape:

Note how lathe lines are consistent? On the OPs coin they are not circular, all varing in strength. Looks like die damage. The fields are the areas damage to a die is usually shown.

The die was not finished off to remove these fine lines before the die was hubbed, so they remain on the die and transferred to coin struck by that die.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
08/18/2019 7:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1941 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 11997755 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Been one of those days of finding strange things. If there not lathe lines....what are they ?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39068 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It could an area partly worked over to polish the die, and didn't finish, or thought it was not able to be fixed and gave up and used the die like it is. Figuring: "No one will notice?" While this look like a large area on the image, it is actually small on the die. We are looking at it through a scope.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1796 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be some form of peripheral die damage. If it was a planchet problem, then it would be most obvious along the tops of the letters, where effective striking pressure is lower. Instead, it is absent from the tops of the letters. This indicates that the curved lines are restricted to the field portion of the die.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1941 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 11997755 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Mr. Diamond for taking the time to look at this. Thinking this could be the result of a few off-center strikes ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1796 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unlikely, since the die is much harder than any cent planchet. Most cases of die damage cannot be assigned to any particular cause.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15739 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More likely a serious MAD that banged into the edge of the collar opening a few times and was quickly reset properly.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
08/19/2019 10:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1941 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2019  06:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 11997755 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes--MAD is the term I should have used. The die would be MAD as well if it were an animate object. (Getting beat up like that)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05