Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With A Challenging ID

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4183 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  11:48 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My collection of worn and beaten coins grows ever larger with a recent purchase of 5 interesting denarii found here in the UK. I think they were a steal, but I do have a soft spot for 'well used' currency.

The coins that the finder had listed were a very curious mixture, so I decided to pick up a couple of 'challenge' coins on the off chance of scoring something else interesting - one is a bronze which will likely be an easy ID with a bit of cleaning, but stumped me in its current state, while the other is a trickier silver coin, worn almost flat and almost snapped in half.

A challenging ID, but I'm hoping someone will have an idea! Pictures are the seller's.

The bronze:

The silver:

The other coins bought alongside these were a Mark Antony Legionary Denarius, an Augstus & Antony denarius, an Ephesus mint denarius of Titus and a mystery coin that I suspect is a Victoriatus, so these coins could come from anywhere from the Republic to the fall.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4372 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To get the ball rolling: rotated, #2 appears to have a turreted bust right. Tyche? Cybele?

Edited by Bob L
08/25/2019 12:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4372 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For comparison of the obverse to some Republican denarii issued by A. Plautius:

Pillar of the Community
United States
2350 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice!
I'm guessing #1 first photo also needs to be rotated, about 60 degrees counter, as it looks like the shoulder is at about 8:00
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4183 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll never know how you do it, Bob, but that has helped tremendously. And I believe you are totally correct about it being Aulus Plautius, whose denarii I was squinting at as you posted again. Have a look at this enigmatic denarius he issued:

Note, especially, the neck of the Camel and the hind quarters:

A PLAVTIVS CVR AED SC
BACCHIVS IVDAEVS, (lit. Bacchius the Jew), supposedly Aristobulus but in reality not identified, camel in tow, presenting an olive branch.

A silver coin with the senate consulted? Not seen that before, but it seems a very similar type by another Curile Aedile earlier in the Republic was also issued with the Senate's authority - it had the same design, but identified a known Hasmonean king, REX ARETAS. Aulus Plautius was the father of the general who (successfully) invaded Britain, becoming its first Roman governor.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4372 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree - that's it.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4183 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2019  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the curious, that uncleaned 'bronze' turned out to be a fairly nice Elagabalus of a type I was hoping to get one day.

Elagabalus, 221-222 AD
IMP ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate, horned (easier to see in hand, but just visible in the picture)), draped bust right right
SACERD DEI SOLIS ELAGAB, Elagabalus (Antoninus) sacrificing right over lighted altar to the god Elagabalus.

Elagabalus was not known as such in life - his proper name was Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Pius (here, he is Antoninus Pius). However, his religious zeal for the imported sun god Elagabalus, commemorated on a few of his coins, stuck with his memory after his death and he is now known to us by that name alone.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.93 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05