Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1977 Queen E II Large Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2019  3:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add garys64wildcat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Coin about inch and 1/2 diameter and thick 1/8th similar to a silver dollar for weight and size but no value on coin.
queen? or princess on horseback on obverse and crown and small eagle in center of wreath.

Reeded edge. Not silver, but probably nickel A friend from England gave it to me.

My camera quit or I would take a picture
Valued Member
United Kingdom
218 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2019  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is probably the 1977 Jubilee Crown - commemorative UK coin with a nominal value of 25p - not intended for circulation.
These are exceedingly common in the UK as an enormous number were minted and handed out to every school child. When I buy job lots of coins I can almost guarantee to get another handful of these. I sell them at 50p each when I can get someone interested.
See: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces5488.html

There is a silver proof version, identified by the higher standard of striking and a cameo effect to the figure on the horse.
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  01:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add garys64wildcat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PaddyB, Thank you for the Quick reply on this coin. I got it from a good friend back in 1978 and never knew the history.

My grandfather migrated from the UK in 1885 and came over on a sailboat at 8 years old and I have several UK coins from 1797 a large copper Geo III almost slick, 1860,1865 farthings almost uncirculated with luster. AU condition in US grading. and some other old coins. Those coins have been in my collection since then and got me into coins.
Im in Washington State USA
Any help I can be send a note
Gary
Valued Member
United Kingdom
283 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  03:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I don't know what 'almost slick' means but it would be worth your while putting up photos here of your almost uncirculated 1860 and 1865 farthings. There are varieties of those dates which can be quite valuable.
We'd be happy to check them for you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add garys64wildcat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hogarth,

Slick

Means that the coin is worn down that the design is barely readable and not very collectable.
I will try to get the camera able to send pictures so I can check the 2 farthings for type. I would like to know.

Gary
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05