Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Licinius I Campgate.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,091Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2424 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  4:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Been slowly picking off the Heraclea Thrace RIC VII 15 Campgates of Licinius I.....
Here is the latest win 25$... a 2nd oficina HTB

Licinius I AE3.19mm/2.67gr
Obverse..IMP LICINIVS AVG, laureate draped bust left holding globe, sceptre and mappa.
Reverse..PROVIDENTIAE AVGG, campgate with three turrets and no door, 7 layers...
Mintmark HTB 2nd oficina.
RIC VII Heraclea Thrace 15; Sear 15264.

Here now are the first 3 oficinas..

Show us your campgates...
Learn More...
United States
23658 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful detail on these coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6137 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, that's a beauty - great buy at $25.
Valued Member
United States
226 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An absolutely super nice coin and a R1 also! Congrats!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2424 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  04:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys!...
I know Lic coins are not generally found to be that exciting but as you all know one of his coins was the first ever ancient I purchased way back in 2015..http://goccf.com/t/241684 and led me into the ancients black hole! So will always have a soft spot for this rulers coinage...When I look back WOW! How unknowledgeable, niave and inexperienced I was and thanks to all you guys I now feel a lot more confident to move on

Anyhow back to the RIC#15 set...As far as I can tell there are 2 left 4th oficina Delta and 5th oficina Epsilon unless anyone knows of any variants or I'm missing something?

Thanks again Paul
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2424 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Been a while but recently picked up the 4th addition to this sub-set...1 left to go!

Licinius I AE3, 308-324 AD, 19mm, 3.15gr, 11h.
Obverse..IMP LICINIVS AVG, laureate draped bust left holding globe, sceptre and mappa.
Reverse..PROVIDENTIAE AVGG, campgate with three turrets and no door, 6 layers...
Mintmark HTΔ 4th oficina.
RIC VII Heraclea Thrace 15; (Minted 316-317)Sear 15264.

Here's the first 4 Oficinas together..Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Delta...
Pillar of the Community
United States
6137 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on getting closer to completing the subset. The portraits are great on all of these.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1336 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a friend who specialized in campgates once upon a time. It must be a worthy focus - he's now Director of Ancient Coins at Herita_ge Auctions.

http://www.beastcoins.com/Topical/A...Campgate.htm
Edited by Kushanshah
11/29/2021 6:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
676 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very interesting series, Paul, and the coins are in superb condition. Congratulations on the latest addition.

Licinius appears to have been a formidable character from his portraits. Not someone to meddle with. Good luck in finding a nice 5th oficina Epsilon specimen to complete the set.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2424 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jim....The 5th is on it's way
Will run a new thread with a little write up when it arrives.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2424 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank Bob, yes they are all pretty decent examples.

Thanks for the link KS, some interesting info.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2424 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2021  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At long last I've managed to complete a small subset, only taken me just over 2 years!..Kept getting sidelined!

A recent pick up from auction completed a set of Licinius I campgates that I'd been collecting- Very slowly!...From the Heraclea Thrace Mint the five Oficina's......
Licinius I (308-324 AD) AE3 Reduced Follis.
Reverse..PROVIDENTIAE AVGG, campgate with three turrets and no door.
Mintmark HT- A, B, Γ, Δ , Ε ...Minted (316-317)
RIC VII Heraclea Thrace #15; Sear 15264.

This is a nice example from the 5th Oficina with the added Provenance of it being ex-Doug Smith.

Here's the set...
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3762 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2021  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hadn't realized that Doug Smith was already famous enough to be listed as provenance... I remember when he was still actively posting on CCF.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
676 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2021  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on getting the complete set, Paul. All very nice too.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2424 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2021  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jim....I can't believe how long this simple set has taken to complete...They aren't particularly difficult to acquire but the Epsilon, someone always wanted it more than me!....

Quote:
I hadn't realized that Doug Smith was already famous enough to be listed as provenance... I remember when he was still actively posting on CCF.
....The guys been in the game for many years and has actually had this coin in hand, so for me a great deal of experience and would take his word on the authenticity of a coin if he'd held it. He would certainly say if he had doubts!....Where are your lines when it comes to provenance?
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3762 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2021  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Where are your lines when it comes to provenance?
A lot less strict than that! But that's an official-looking ticket, so I'm surprised they bothered.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,091Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: