Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1 Pound 2016 Error Coin?!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Lebanon
97 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2019  5:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,
I have a 1 that have many elements which I suspect may be errors but also they may be damages .Can you help me please

Edited by chronos
09/09/2019 5:28 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
233 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  04:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't see anything to get excited about there. The two marks you highlighted, if they are proud of the surface they may be evidence of a scratch on the die, but if incuse would be PMD.
The Royal Mint had to produce an enormous number of 1 coins in 2016 to cater for the withdrawal of the old type. As a result the quality control took a back seat I fear and there are numerous faults. One colector did a careful examination of just 60 odd 2016 1s and came up with 32 different "errors", so around half the coins you look at could be tagged with some sort of quality control issue. (That doesn't stop people on Ebay trying to flog them at a premium!)
There are only two definite variations/errors I believe are worth looking for:
1. There are some coins in 2016 where the microdate (in the rim on the reverse) differs to the main date on the obverse. This is a clear die mismatch, but very difficult to spot without a powerful loupe.
2. The "leftie" coins. With a correct coin, if you hold it obverse facing you, the milled section on the edge should be to the right of the centr line of the bust. Some were made with this to the left - a mistake in setting up the machine as obverse, reverse and edge were all created in a single strike. Having said that, around 5% of 2016 1s have this, so still not really rare.(Total mintage just under 650 million, so estimated 32 million lefties!)
Valued Member
Lebanon
97 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for your help !
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05