Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Mint New Listing On Schedule For A 2019 Enhanced Reverse Proof American Silver Eagle

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 85
Pillar of the Community
United States
1518 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If I submit on my own I pay the membership fee $79 + shipping + grading/processing/labeling fees.

Just a minor correction - PCGS basic membership is $69. I just joined about 6 weeks ago.
Pillar of the Community
United States
897 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  10:56 am  Show Profile   Check omxfl's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let me get this straight. People are willing to pay more to have the coin graded than the coin actually cost in the first place? I get that the elusive 70 may add more value than the cost of grading, but I still find it absurd. Ah well, little do I know about modern coin collecting. :)

But the policy to have the coin submitted together with the certificate in the sealed package is just geared towards squeezing more money out of collectors.
This is from the PCGS website:
"Ensuring the integrity of this program, dual encapsulation services are available only for submissions of sealed boxes from the U.S. Mint to prevent the inadvertent and incorrect dual encapsulation of non-matching reverse proof silver eagles and COA now or at any time in the future."
Yet the US Mint clearly states:
"The number on each Certificate of Authenticity does not reflect the order in which each coin was minted."

I'll open the package when I get it on Thursday. PCGS won't get a dime from me, numbered certificate or not. :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1405 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Omxfl, I agree. If I get a signed certificate, great. I don't need a 3rd party grading service to tell me it's real. For those that do get one, you can always send it in later. If they can't certify the signature and certificate as genuine, then their service isn't worth squat.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12788 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
basebal21, Do you happen to know what the charges are for the PCGS Slabbed coin & serial number also has another slab dedicated for the COA, numbered too.

That was for with the COA.

If you do modern with it it'd be 16+10+15+22 = 63 ($5 more if you want gold shield)

Regular would be 35+10+15+22 = 82 ($5 more for gold shield

Express would be 65+10+15+22 = 112 (that comes with gold shield already)

If you didn't do the COA you would just add it with another submission and just pay for an extra coin in that submission instead of having to submit it on it's own

Quote:
Is there any advantage to submitting the ASE myself vs through a dealer?

By doing it yourself you don't have to worry about getting scammed, the dealer going out of business, having coins switched on you etc. It's one thing if you have a long standing relationship with a good dealer, it's another to try with a random one.

I always do it myself. I don't want them sending in some too and saying mine is always the 69 etc.

If you have any other coins you'd submitt in the next year or some you were thinking about, the 8 voucher membership is the best deal

Quote:
If I get a signed certificate, great. I don't need a 3rd party grading service to tell me it's real. For those that do get one, you can always send it in later

No you can't send it in later. Once the box is opened that's it you lost the chance for it. They don't want people faking them which is incredibly easy to do or crazking them out till it gets paired with a 70 for extra value ect
Fire A.J. Preller
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add calradix to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Has anyone actually received the coin? Pictures?

I have mine but it is sealed in the box. Sending out to PCGS for grading
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave92029 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The cost of grading very expensive. I use NGC, one of the few on this forum.
I filled out the paperwork for my submission. In addition to the 2019 S, I Iwill be submitting my 1993 P, and 1995 P proof, and 2011P, 2011 S.
The five coins will cost me $164 ( $33 each).
There are handling fees and postage which are almost fixed fees, so by adding some additional coins that I have in OMP, my average cost is a bit more palatable.
This may be a good opportunity to get some other coins graded with you 2019 S
Pillar of the Community
United States
1405 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No you can't send it in later. Once the box is opened that's it you lost your chance for it.

I understand that they can't certify that the certificate came with a particular coin. Are you saying that or are you saying that they won't certify that the certificate and signature are authentic? If they can't certify a document and a signature, their service is worth nothing. That would make their level of expertise on par with anyone else who can open a sealed box.
Edited by Bret
11/19/2019 11:54 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
810 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine is expected to arrive by Friday. It may show up on Thurday though, that's been the track record for it a day earlier than expected.

not sure why it left Tennessee to go to Mississippi, to come to Florida, seems Georgia is the better route, but I did get the cheap shipping.
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave92029 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the grading services are saying the coin and coa must be submitted together in a sealed box so the coa can be attributed to a "specific" coin. That seems very reasonable to me.
I'm not sure what value the coa is without being able to attach the serial number to a special coin. The coa is. Just a piece of paper that surely could be reproduced. The coin and coa must be linked to each other in order to have value.
Edited by dave92029
11/19/2019 12:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1120 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...level of expertise on par with anyone else who can open a sealed box.

My experience has been that it is easy to open some Mint shipping boxes from the side of the box and then re-seal it without any evidence of it being opened.

For many of their small item shipping boxes, the side closure of the box is just a fold over flap with a cardboard mortise and tenon joint. Easy to pull it open and then re-seal it without tearing the cardboard.

Don't know if they're using that type of box for this coin or not, but it they are, then it sort of makes the concept of an unopened box subject to interpretation
Pillar of the Community
United States
810 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bret, the point of it I think is if it's unopened they will certify the coin and certificate together with matching numbers on the slab as a set.

From PCGS
"For each sequentially numbered COA from the Mint, PCGS will process the coin and COA in tandem for certification. The new service entails the encapsulation of both contents in separate slabs that are paired with a declaration of the matching common serial number on their respective certification labels."

"Ensuring the integrity of this program, dual encapsulation services are available only for submissions of sealed boxes from the U.S. Mint to prevent the inadvertent and incorrect dual encapsulation of non-matching reverse proof silver eagles and COA now or at any time in the future."

As far as I am aware, this is the first time they are certifying the COAs because the certificates are numbered, and they are only certifying them in a "dual submission" for people that want the COA number on the coin holder. I think the point is unless you submit them both at the same time in mint sealed packaging, they will consider it tampered with and not put the COA number on the coin. If you want the certificate authenticated for the signature then you would go to a signature authenticator and get them to certify it as genuine and do whatever they do to preserve it. PCGS won't unless they are submitted together in sealed mint packaging to prove at least to them that the coin and the COA were shipped out together and not tampered with and then both pieces get the matching cert numbers, and that they did in fact come together in the box from the mint as a set.

I think you could get some other party to Authenticate and encapusulate the COA separately if you wanted to if it was one of the hand signed ones as people get like Baseball cards done by like PSa or some other service.

Just as a set with the number on both, PCGS is doing it this way only.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
579 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They haven't shipped mine yet but my friends at work arrived today.

Pillar of the Community
United States
646 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! And there's that little "s" on the back causing all this ruckus
Pillar of the Community
United States
2889 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
basebal21, Again, I thank You. Your knowledge on this forum is Greatly appreciated and Knowledge, Especially here, is a Powerful asset . Is there anyone else cynical about a grading company, being entrusted with Our unopened packages, to be totally honest, I am NOT trusting of policies like this. I too will seek to possibly have my coins graded, just NOT under those conditions. Am I alone in these concerns? I am also thankful to GMS5, for sharing the Beautiful, Crisp 2019-S Enhanced Reverse Proof Coin....
Pillar of the Community
United States
2889 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at ALL of these Great comments, I wish there was simply an Emoji or button to represent Liking other's posts.... Thanks.......
Page: of 85  Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05