Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coins In Art (V2.0; Evergreen)

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13859 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

For sure they exist, but I just haven't taken a pic of one yet. In the meanwhile, here is a link to a quick sampling of the possibilities:

https://www.saatchiart.com/painting...imes/feature
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
433 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tornandfrayed75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If music can be called "art" (which I think it can) here's a good one.
The song Happy by The Rolling Stones begins with:
Never kept a dollar past sunset,
Always burned a hole in my pants

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13859 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah good addition to the thread @taf75! I bet we could come up with several dozen songs that mention money if we tried. Not a bad idea for a thread.

From a painting perspective, here is another one from the Houston Texas MFA. It is called Fruit Market and was painted by Giacomo Legi in about AD 1630. Giacomo was Flemish, but spent a lot of time painting in Genoa Italy. I don't have the specific silver coin in this oil on canvas painting, but I have included pics of a contemporaneous Quattrino from 150 miles east of Genoa (i.e. Bologna).

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13859 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This etching called "Marriage A-la-Mode" was engraved and printed in 1745 by William Hogarth. The composition comprises multiple plates, with this one being the first. In it, the Earl Squander (seated on the left) arranges the marriage of his son Viscount Squanderfield (who is at the other side of the composition pondering his syphilis sore). The Earl too suffers the bodily discomforts of excess, as can be seen by his bandaged foot--the gout making shoe-wearing too painful to contemplate. On the table is a small pile of coins and bills, perhaps including a British 1730 ha'penny like this one from my collection.

It currently resides at the Houston MFA, along with the past few pieces that I have posted.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13859 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This oil-on-canvas was painted by David Dick of Bern Switzerland in 1687. The title, Bauamt, roughly translates into English as "Building office", or as the placard at the Historical Museum of Bern read, "Payday in the Office of Public Works". If you examine the subjects' clothes closely, you will see that the government workers wear a somber black, while the workers wear brown and have removed their hats as a sign of respect. On the table are stacks of silver coins (perhaps Batzen, which for reference are approximately 25 mm in diameter) with a smattering of small copper pieces in there as well. Unfortunately, I don't happen to have any 17th Century Swiss coins in my collection to provide as examples.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13859 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  05:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the same exhibit in Bern, I found this contemporaneous Bernese painting by Albrecht Kauw. Called "Reckoning up in the Accountant's Office", this piece shows a wealthy merchant performing the business of the day. As with the previous painting, there are several silver coins on the table.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13859 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As it turns out, the same painter (Albrecht Kauw) had his paintbrushes on our next work of art as well. Between AD 1516 and 1520, the Swiss painter Niklaus Manuel painted a series of murals called Dance of Death or "Danse Macabre" on the cemetery wall next to a Dominican convent. Each panel features a pair of people (or group of people) with their own mocking skeleton. Prior to this wall being taken down in 1660, the mural was fortunately copied by Albrecht Kauw (circa 1649).

The Historical Museum of Bern has a whole room with these panels and the one below caught my eye numismatically. It is called "Knight and Jurist" and is a juxtaposition of the lowest rung of nobility (the knight) and the highest rung of secular learning (the jurist). After removing it from his purse, Death confronts the Jurist by holding out a sizable silver coin, which is only identifiable by a long cross.

Below I have included a silver Denier made in nearby Lausanne between AD 1517 and 1536. It features a small, floriated cross on the rev, but represents the closest coin in my collection to what Niklaus Manuel likely would have painted.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13859 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This oil-on-wood painting by Jacob Jacobs is called "Portrait of Dorothea Walrave". It was painted in 1606 and currently hangs at the Museum of Hamburg History in Neustadt Hamburg (Germany). Her clothing is appropriate for the upper class in 17th century Hamburg, with a pleated apron, lace cuffs, and white collar.

This modesty contrasts sharply with the heavy gold chains and mounted Portugaleser coin, which would have been struck around AD 1570 in Hamburg. According to the placard in the museum, these gold coins were referred to as "current seagoing coins" and due to their excessive value were used only for large bills (as opposed to daily transactions). More specifically, one Portugaleser amounted to approximately 108 days wage for a laborer.

Rather than post my extensive collection of Portugalers , I have included pictures of an early 18th Century Hamburger 4 Schilling from my collection. This small silver coin roughly corresponded to one day's wages for a laborer. Plainly visible on both coins are the three towers of Hamburg.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05