Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coins In Art (V2.0; Evergreen)

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 2,681Next Topic
Page: of 3
Learn More...
United States
104701 Posts
Learn More...
United States
20845 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well as with everyone else, this COVID stuff has dramatically decreased my visits to museums. However, I recently spent some time at the Anchorage (AK) Museum at Rashmuson Center. While there, I found this mixed-media piece by Rebecca Lyon titled "Counting on Liberty". From the description:

Quote:
In this work from 2016, Athabascan and Alutiq artist Rebecca Lyon depicts her Dena'ina Athabascan great-grandmother, Anastasia Nutnaltna. Born in 1886, the same year the Statue of Liberty was dedicated in New York, Nutnaltna lived under colonialism and enjoyed few liberties during her lifetime. Lyon celebrates her great-grandmother as an emblem of women's rights. Indigeneity, and decolonization, drawing attention to past injustices and making space for a brighter, more equitable future.

Using motifs from the American flag and the US twenty-dollar bill, Lyon re-casts national and political symbols. President Andrew Jackson, a slave-owner termed the "Indian Killer" due to his displacement and harm against indigenous peoples, is eclipsed by a portrait of Lyon's great-grandmother. Lyon suggests that American iconographies of power are problematic, but also mutable.

Lyon's contemporary take on a traditional Dena'ina Athabascan nitnuqeyiski, or counting cord, encircles the image. Counting cords, historically made of hide and embellished with beads, feathers, or other objects, were used to record events in a person's life. Lyon's nontraditional counting cord is intended to "document and celebrate the struggle for equal rights for women of all races."

I think that this counting cord is an interesting piece for numismatists as it contains several coins, tokens, and ephemera, as can be see in the close-up. One of these is a Walking half dollar and so I've posted my 1921-D too.

Added: here is a link to a video of the artist talking about this piece:

https://www.anchoragemuseum.org/abo...-on-liberty/

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
104701 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic!

I just noticed this topic had been dormant since the lock-downs began. My last post was 11 days before it hit.
Learn More...
United States
20845 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I'm pretty glad to have a little more mobility of late--so much of the world to see!
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
104701 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not any more mobile than I was last year. The idiots down here are, well, idiots.

At least I have CCF to show me the world.
Learn More...
United States
20845 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm here for ya @jbuck.

Here is an interesting sculpture that I found recently at ATL near concourse E. Actually, it is displayed right across the hall from the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. reproductions of his 1957 Spingarn Medal from the NCAAP and his 1964 Nobel Peace Prize. You might recall that I previously posted them here: http://goccf.com/t/301900&whichpage=4#2671360

Anyways, this sculpture caught me eye: "Belle" by Mary Engel. Her description is "found objects, mixed media", but what attracted me was the coins interspersed among buttons, jewelry, zippers, and other metal objects. For us numismatists, I see some Sacagawea dollars as well as some 25 Colones from Costa Rica. All have the same tawny brown color, which makes this lion really...roar.

Here are a couple pics of this sculpture, but Mary's website offers a much better view: http://maryengelsculpture.com/sculpture Interestingly, it looks like several of her pieces incorporate coins!

In looking through my coins of Costa Rica, unfortunately I don't have any with that same color. Instead, I offer up this 20 Colones dated 1994. You will see the familiar crest though.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
104701 Posts
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 2,681Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05