Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Good Video Concerning Gading Companies Inconsistencies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
6091 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  11:02 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What I like about this knowledgeable dealer and his channel is that he likes to speak plainly and backs up what he says with visible fact. He has video answers to a lot of good questions.

LvkbTFIZ-EA

Wisdom from our own former member:
http://goccf.com/t/130186

Mods: When I previewed the vid would not play. I used the CCF youtube button to share. I went back into the code window and copy pasted the link back into a browser window and it works fine. Help!
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Edited by Earle42
09/16/2019 11:07 am
Learn More...
United States
77182 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Mods: When I previewed the vid would not play. I used the CCF youtube button to share. I went back into the code window and copy pasted the link back into a browser window and it works fine. Help!
Fixed. You have to remove all of the extra "& parts" of the link.

Your example is:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvkbTFIZ-EA[/youtube]
Pillar of the Community
United States
6091 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks jbuck - cannot guarantee I will remember that in the future though...so one of these days the Pepsi is on me

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Edited by Earle42
09/16/2019 3:16 pm
Learn More...
United States
77182 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No worry. An easy fix if you get it wrong again.

Make sure you get the Real Sugar Pepsi. Tastes like when we were kids, before HFCS became the norm.
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I stopped listening when he said that a 1901 S Morgan in AU 58 is over $1000. I see them on various websites in MS for $500. My take is that slabs are important for some people, and not for others. I would never pay more for a slabbed coin than what a raw coin costs. My last slabbed coin was the a George Washington Presidential dollar in MS 67, I had the LCS break out the coin and paying the same as the raw coin. Considering it probably cost a few dollars to get it graded, who ever graded actually lost money for getting it graded.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6091 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a lot of good examples given after that which I personally appreciated. BTW - towards the end of the video he makes the statement that he is not against the companies - he is just showing the faults which are what a lot of people, especially newbies, don't understand and get suckered by for their blind faith (not his words).
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17363 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regardless of you opinion, good or ill, I will take PCGS or NGC over almost any dealers opinion. Especially when the coin is over $1000.

I would put my grading skills up against most collectors but I still love NGC and PCGS. Not because I don't know, but because I do know.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5370 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy the coin not the slab. Now, that being said, I do like the presentation of slabs. I'm doing a slabbed type set for that, among other, reasons. It also helps with liquidity. It's especially helpful when it comes to Variaites and Errors. Some stuff won't sell for anything outside of a slab, but in one, sky's the limit.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12459 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In general there's a reason why dealers complain about the companies, it's because they are the collectors best friend and make it harder for dealers to make huge profits and take advantage of collectors. They leveled the playing field and in many cases have exposed shady dealer practices. They have also allowed more collectors to enter the hobby and for collectors to enjoy a wider variety of series and branch out into world coins etc much easier.

I couldn't get past about 50 seconds of it this time so much misleading information at best had occurred and you have posted this before at least once if not more. NGC is NOT public, that is one of the most basic easy to check facts and hard to take anything seriously that says they know they are. NGC had the highest bid to be the official ANA grader, same with the PNG just like a company would to be the official beer of the NFL. In other-words it's meaningless and has basically no influence on either organization aside from marketing. The "dealer networks" are dealers that submitted an application and met the criteria to be able to advertise that they can submit to those companies and get the dealer pricing, no different than joining the ANA or PNG and doesn't influence the TPGs.

Furthermore TPGs DO NOT create rarities, they grade what is sent to them. Conditional rarities existed long before the TPGs did. So did premiums for premium examples, so did premiums for higher grades, none of this is new.

Collectors deserve to have accurate information not conspiracy theories particularly about favoritism.

If you are unhappy with the TPG grading, the answer is to improve your own skill and that's the message that collectors should be hearing, not things like most dealers say telling your their raw coin is just as nice if not nicer than the top pops
Edited by basebal21
09/17/2019 01:16 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
6091 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...and you have posted this before at least once if not more.

My mistake! I forgot I used my time machine to jump ahead to when this video was made...yesterday...and posted it some time ago.

I will avoid that mistake in the ...future?...Past?...

Quote:
I couldn't get past about 50 seconds of it this time so much misleading information at best had occurred

Question everything. That is what education is about.

1. By judging data without taking the entire context you missed the point of the video entirely.

2. Watching through to the end would mean having to listen to him say he is not against the companies at all, and he is not condemning any one of them. Context - facts - reality.

3. Further on he produces actual cases which prove the points he is trying to make with this video.

In fact some people would be shocked to hear something he says later in the video about what viewers might have been expecting him to say (b/c of the title of the video) and finding out what his viewpoint actually is.

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in."
#8213; Isaac Asimov

Quote:
In general there's a reason why dealers complain about the companies, it's because they are the collectors best friend and make it harder for dealers to make huge profits and take advantage of collectors.

Nice generalization but not applicable in this case. Instead of an instant push against what is being presented b/c it violates TPG holy ground, looking into the actual practices of this guy - a whole Youtube channel worth of data - will show he uses, deals with, and likes the TPGs as a whole. Yes, he points out flaws with them as a desire to see improvement. The reason he does is that despite some raised altars to them, TPGS are not yet perfect.

Quote:
...it's because they are the collectors best friend...

Me: So Mr. best friend who is also my expert auto mechanic....how good are the brakes in my car? Are they in good condition?
Mechanic: Yes...well...I think so anyway.
Me: What do you mean?
Mechanic: I looked them over and can say they are most likely - like 90% (MS66) OK. Two more expert mechanics here even agree with me.
Me: 90% (MS66)? Will you look at them again?
Mechanic: Well...it will COST you again if I find they are better, but OK.
...Oh...OK...maybe that estimate was a little high...let's say 85% (MS65).
Me: Well, I am planning on selling the car soon and want to make absolutely sure.
Mechanic: You know, if you pay Mr. Greensticker some more money, he will come in and tell you whether the 85% (MS65) is low, good, or a high estimation for how good your brakes are. You could get more money from the sale that way.
Now of course we could actually MEASURE the brake pads to see if they need replaced, then there would be no question, but we choose not to as our business would be affected but the lack of subjectivity.

Quote:
Furthermore TPGs DO NOT create rarities, they grade what is sent to them.

Again that nagging concept of context led to misunderstanding. His statement about TPGs creating rarities is actually a POSITIVE statement and not negative.

In fact, below is a link to another video this dealer has a video concerning a very rare - only b/c of TPGs) SMS DCAM 1966 MS 68 half he found. His overall idea is that if TPGS did not label coins with DCAM, etc., then these rarities would never be seen in the general hobby as anything special by most. These coins certainly never would seel for the huge amounts they do if labeling/slabs had not entered the scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQaOgR78cyo&t=145s

Quote:
Collectors deserve to have accurate information not conspiracy theories particularly about favoritism.

Absolutely!

Don't dismiss new information based upon what has been "predetermined" as fact. And surely don't use blind faith to judge something before making a final opinion. Check everything presented to see if it is fact, opinion, or wishful thinking.

Collect what you like - enjoy the hobby as you like. Just be aware of facts and buy the Coin and not the holder!

- Real men play Fizzbin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17363 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Basbal21 - loud sincere clapping for your comments.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05