Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2 Very Rare Domitian Denarii

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1232 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  9:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A few days ago I was contacted by another Flavian collector who was selling 2 Domitian PONT denarii. We made a deal and the coins are on the way. The PONT denarii are very special to anyone who specializes in the coins of Domitian. They were struck for a very brief period of time and they are all very rare to extremely rare. To illustrate, all PONT denarii are either R2 or R3. In the newest RIC II part one this means very few examples known to the authors or only one example known to the authors. I have to say that it looks like the given rarity is fairly accurate because these coins appear very infrequently on the market. I know exactly 4 collectors who care about these coins. To others they may appear to be interesting oddities, but to me they are important witnesses to Domitian's first year as Augustus.

I love many things about the coins themselves. First is the provenance. Both coins were owned by Harry Sneh.

The first coin is RIC 21. This is actually my second example of this coin. This is highly unusual as it is difficult enough to find one example never mind 2. Below is the coin I just acquired. I think it is safe to say that the new acquisition is a considerable upgrade.

Domitian AR Denarius, 81 CE (Group 3)
3.24g
Rome mint, 81 AD
Obv: IMP CAES DOMITIANVS AVG PONT; Head of Domitian, laureate, bearded, r.
Rev: COS VII DES VIII P P; Curule chair, wreath above
RIC 21 (R2). BMC p. 299 note. RSC 58
Ex: Harry N. Sneh Collection
Ex: David Atherton Collection

As for the second coin. It is also very special. It is RIC 34 (R3)- 1 example known. This new acquisition coin is unsurprisingly a double die match to the RIC plate coin. I can find no other examples of this coin anywhere. As far as I know, this coin is the second one known.

Domitian AR Denarius, 81 CE (Group 3)
3.23g
Rome mint, 81 AD
Obv: IMP CAES DOMITIAN AVG PONT; Head of Domitian, laureate, bearded, r.
Rev: COS VII DES VIII P P; Seat, draped; above, winged thunderbolt
RIC 34 (R3). BMC -. RSC -
Ex: Harry N. Sneh Collection.
Ex: David Atherton Collection

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Learn More...
United States
22569 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super coins Andrew. How many of his denarius do you have now?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1232 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Ron, I think I have about 40 Domitian denarii now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4408 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always fascinating to hear about how you manage to acquire more rarities. Remarkable. What an important collection you have formed. Congrats on these latest additions, Andrew.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1541 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  02:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great pick ups orfew!
Both from Rome in the same year yet a marked difference in the portrait styles very nice!
Congrats Paul
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13090 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  05:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done @orfew! I really like the depiction of the "winged thunderbolt".
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1232 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all for your kind words. I really appreciate you taking the time to comment.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05