Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My First Find, 40 Years Ago In A Corn Field In Illinois. 1845 Large Cent

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  12:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 1845large to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
4653 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  01:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
.... to the Community!

Nice find!

How did you determine it's been in a corn field for only 40 years! Did you lose it there 40 years ago?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29447 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  04:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How did you determine it's been in a corn field for only 40 years! Did you lose it there 40 years ago?

That's what I was going to ask.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
22003 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  06:59 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe they have been searching for 40 years.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11594 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41298 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unclear for sure!

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add James Hicks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Very nice find
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17831 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it was an AU coin when it went in the ground. Still a nice find even with the environmental damage.
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1845large to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, I don't know how to respond to each and every one who posts, but it has been OUT of a corn field for the last 40 years. Sorry for the confusion. While detasseling corn, way back in 1975-78, a work friend and I were walking up a corn row, he threw a rock at me, in jest, and I picked up the first thing that I saw to throw back...first though it was a beer cap...fortunately, I looked first, and I saw this in my hand! I never had a chance to return to that corn field, I suspect it was an old homestead.
Pillar of the Community
United States
755 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hcmusicguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Incredible find and a great story to go with it. Reminds me of the 1851 large cent that my great great grandfather carried as a pocket piece many decades ago (he died in the early 1940s). Judging from the surface, I suspect it spent some time in the ground before he had it, which is plausible since that part of Wisconsin has been settled since the early 1850s. It now resides in an air-tight in my SDB.

Shown here in a pic from the day my grandmother gave it to me, mid-2015 with my own then-current crop of pocket pieces.

Oldest circulation finds: Cent 1902; 3CN 1867; Nickel (Buffalo/no date); Dime 1914; Quarter 1876; Half 1936; Dollar 1900; Banknote 1928 $2; Foreign 1917 3d (Great Britain)
Edited by hcmusicguy
10/09/2019 10:05 am
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  02:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1845large to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IndianGoldEagle, hcmusicguy, Thank you both for your opinion. New in this game. What is the best way to clean it, or not, and keep its quality...It has been in a box with many other coins from when I found it and gave it to my father 40 years ago. Back when I was a kid, we used to take a pencil eraser to our pennies to make them shine...not sure if that is a good thing with a 1845 large cent...
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  02:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1845large to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
westernsky, Thanks for the welcome...I found it 40 years ago, not sure how long it was in the ground before that...I guess my post was not too clear about the history, sorry.
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  02:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1845large to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinfrog Thanks for the welcome...I found it 40 years ago, not sure how long it was in the ground before that...I guess my post was not too clear about the history, sorry.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7653 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NOOOOO. do not clean this coin with anything. there is only one thing you can do to preserve it and that would be to give a VerdiCare soak
Pillar of the Community
United States
755 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hcmusicguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I concur with the others....leave it as is.
Oldest circulation finds: Cent 1902; 3CN 1867; Nickel (Buffalo/no date); Dime 1914; Quarter 1876; Half 1936; Dollar 1900; Banknote 1928 $2; Foreign 1917 3d (Great Britain)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4653 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaning it, or trying to make it look better, will ruin it and its value if you aren't careful and are clueless about what you are doing.

Your best bet is to leave it alone for now and learn all you can about "conservation" before attempting any sort of coin cleaning.

Many coins have been destroyed by cleaning. Don't add this one to the pile!

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05