Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1867 3 Nickel Tilted Die Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1062 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  5:41 pm Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How would you grade the coin?

Click on the picture for a larger image.

I'm wondering if this strike may be a Vertical Misaligned Die Error also known as a Tilted Die Error. The coin is weak in the same area on the obverse and reverse rims with a stronger strike showing on the opposite rims. The depth of the denticals also supports the idea of a tilted die strike as they vary in depth from one edge of the rim to the other. The coin displays a Rim Cud and other possible die damage on the obverse in the weak area and a die crack at the K:2 position on the reverse.

The coin shows little to no wear on Liberty's cheek. Could the areas that show design weakness be due to a weak strike caused by tilted dies instead of actual circulation wear?

Let me know what you think about the possible tilted die error and weak strike.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Pillar of the Community
United States
4137 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rim cud around 9-10 o'clock would be a new listing. I'm just not convinced

10-12 isn't damage. A close-up of this area would be dandy

Edit, after I typed that, I thought to click the pic, to

mag it. It seems to confirm what you are saying.

If it were me, I'd run it by cudsoncoins 1st.

There's a contact link on the main page.
Edited by fioti
10/08/2019 6:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1062 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you click on the original picture? If I did things right it should open a larger image.

Here's the detail of the area. I didn't mean the coin was damaged, but the die that struck it.

Click on the picture for a larger image.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
17363 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe it's a simple misaligned die strike. Note the center of both obverse and reverse is strongly struck.

These early 3CNN (as well as Shield nickels) are much more common with cuds, die cracks and chips, than they are without them.

Want a REAL challenge? Find this year without die problems and strongly and evenly struck.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1062 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
moxking said...

Quote:
Want a REAL challenge? Find this year without die problems and strongly and evenly struck.

I'm starting to see that! I've had these coins for years, I just never looked at then in any detail. I even found one with a shattered reverse die, but it's not in great condition.

I need to take pictures of about 20 more nickel 3 cent pieces and a couple of silver. My new lens is really helpful at viewing the details on my coins.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1062 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
fioti said...

Quote:
...I'd run it by cudsoncoins...

I'll do that. I want to send this coin and the 1881 3 with the retained die break to them for possible attribution. Thanks for the suggestion and I'm happy that the click to view larger size works.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
18551 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That click to enlarge is neat. I like that.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05