Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay A Bad Place To Buy Coins

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

United States
15 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  7:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Silverstream123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I figure could be a lot of fakes sold there
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29974 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is simply a matter of buyer beware. Know what you are buying before you buy.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20142 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, do your homework and it's a great place to get deals.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42225 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First, learn you subject coin and understand how it is priced in different grades. Second, only buy from dealers with a high positive feedback rating who offer full return privileges. EBay is a wonderful resource.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
10/14/2019 7:26 pm
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Captain Jack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nah, eBay is the place that sets the market... thats where you go to not get ripped off by overpriced dealers.... you just have to be careful of some counterfeits, but they're rare. Over the past few years I've bought a lot of silver dollars off ebay, both peace and morgan, walking liberty 50c, franklin 50c, Mercury dimes, gold coins, and trust me, none of the coins I've bought are counterfeit. I had a dealer give me a counterfeit morgan one time after buying a real one from him, but it was already known ahead of time, and it was intentional. Now you can buy older british coinage from the 1700s and before that are marked as non-regal, and these are technically counterfeits, but they're collectible now too, because they were counterfeit back in that time period. Sellers on ebay mark them as non-regal because counterfeit wouldn't get passed the censors.
Pillar of the Community
United States
857 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jon Brand to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ive bought plenty on ebay. Like the others said if you know what you are getting there is no harm.
View Collection: jbknifeandcoin.com
Pillar of the Community
United States
3383 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with the above. You have to look at A LOT of coins to filter out all the junk and you can find nice coins at good prices on eBay.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6480 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Make sure anything you buy that's more than $25 or so is slabbed, and the coin in the listing matches the one out on the NGC (or possibly PCGS) website.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20142 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Make sure anything you buy that's more than $25 or so is slabbed,

Very unnecessary if you do you homework.
Pillar of the Community
United States
715 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flag4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For an experienced collector, eBay is a great resource. Research it well. Know what you're buying. Check out the seller as much as possible. Check the completed auctions, see what prices are being paid.
Resist impulse purchases, think it through before buying anything.
You'll do just fine.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18656 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I basically keep away from ebay and/other on line coin sales. Just to many fake coins, lost in mail, wrong coin sent, ebay fees, pay pal fees and other things. I'd just rather go to coin shows and see what I'm getting. And I was just told by a dealer of a new coin show in this area coming November. I now go to from 2 to 4 coin shows a Month and all are free.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16013 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always like to closely examine every coin in hand, that I may consider to buy.

eBay simply does not work to my advantage.

The only that eBay works for me,
is to provide information on price research.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12574 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite the opposite, eBay is actually a great place to buy coins. Whether or not it is always the best place to sell coins is another story.

If you like moderns or world coins the inventory there is the best by far. Unless you want 5 or 6+ figure coins the inventory on eBay is good overall. I have many issues with how they run things and some policies, but it would be a lie to say it's not a good place for collectors to look for coins.

Avoid too good to be true, avoid raw coins of value, avoid sellers in China (or international in general if you are new), stick to graded coins and you've eliminated the overwhelming majority of bad listings.

And yes I understand there are good raw coins on there in the lower prices, but the overwhelming majority of problem listings are raw especially when it comes to "errors"

Quote:
I basically keep away from ebay and/other on line coin sales. Just to many fake coins, lost in mail, wrong coin sent, ebay fees, pay pal fees and other things.

Once again there are NO fees for buyers. There are no eBay fees, there are no paypal fees. The sellers pay the fees.
Valued Member
United States
409 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Copper Penny Connection to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As both a seller and buyer on eBay, who happens to also own a local brick and mortar coin shop, eBay is an amazing place to buy coins and check realized prices.

Truth is, if anything, eBay should be used with caution as a seller and is now virtually risk free as a buyer with how eBay now caters to its buyers. A buyer can return any item nowadays by simply claiming the reason as not as described, even if the seller strictly lists as no returns. Plus return shipping is also footed by the seller when using INAD.

So with that in mind, almost any excuse ive seen discussed is nulled by that fact. A couple quick examples...
***Counterfeits are everywhere..eBay, lcs, and shows. If you happen to buy a counterfeit by mistake, you can simply get your money back on eBay..not always the case at a store or show.

***Buying from pictures....truth is, I find this to be a benefit. You'd be surprised how many people on Ebay are horrible at using a camera, esp for macro purposes. So often you'll find the coin in hand is much nicer than in the picture...again returns are key. Sure it may be convenient to hold it before u buy it, but for some OCD collectors (and thats alot of) we are looking for a coin to match a perfect set or blend perfectly with other dates of a series. So while you may pay upfront on eBay, you get to see it side by side with others in your sets, as well as 14 or more days to really inspect it. Try bringing your collection to a coin show and say youll be here all week checking a coin out and imagine the looks you'd get.

TLDR: eBay is the best place to buy coins anywhere in my opinion, and a great place to sell however selling carries risk, while buying is safe.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4303 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Make sure anything you buy that's more than $25 or so is slabbed ....

My "more than" value is $150.
The only coins valued in the $25-150 range that I see slabbed with any regularity are 20th century coins that someone was apparently hoping would grade at MS-70 (MS-68 or -69 for the first half of the 20th century).
Slabbing one coin at PCGS or NGC would cost more than $25 when you include S&H.
Slabbing with any other TPG (including ANACS) I don't recommended.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Edited by kanga
10/15/2019 09:43 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
599 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had good luck on Ebay. The bad experiences and bad coins I've run into have generally been my fault. If you take your time and do your research you should do just find for the most part.

Just make sure you stay away from that guy who is selling a 1913 Liberty Head Nickel.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05