Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Paypal Shipping Labels

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
524 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  2:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have done most of my sales to-date on eBay. But lately I have made some sales on U.S.A. Coinbook. I have not used tracked shipping often, but less than 2 weeks ago I printed a shipping label on PayPal for $3.09- CT to NM. I may have done a couple of others, too. It always seemed that PayPal offered a discount similar to eBay's

Today I needed to mail 2 more of the same type of package. I tried every which package-type calculation. The cheapest they had was $7.55. There were simply no appropriate choices for a standard padded envelope with a 2-3 ounces of coins. I went to the post office and was charged $3.70 for the first package from CT to NYS. I haven't done anything with the other one yet, but I think it would cost even more.

PayPal customer service was no help and neither was their online community help (could not figure out how to post a question, only how to search their data base).
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17898 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the few advantages with eBay. They lock the price, print the label and notify customer, plus report when delivered.

BUT you can look up any type of mailing on the USPS in seconds.

I weigh at home and have a listing for each ounce below 13. Match the weight to the cost. Eventually you will memorize them.

And then they will change the prices
Pillar of the Community
United States
524 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, moxking. I am trying "Media Mail® service (2-9 days)". This one goes to Austin. It comes with tracking for $2.75. I think the difference between this and what I'm used to using is the shipping time. I hope there is not a glitch with this choice. It seems appropriate for this type of package, according to USPS specs. I still don't understand why I wasn't given the choice I used for the NM package on PayPal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7112 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  10:18 am  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As long as you are sending media, it's a good choice.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12546 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As long as you are sending media, it's a good choice.

For the most part it is, just never use it for Hawaii, Alaska or Territories. Media gets put on with whatever space is left over once the normal mail is loaded. It can sit for weeks if not longer sending media male to those places
Pillar of the Community
United States
524 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Media gets put on with whatever space is left over once the normal mail is loaded. It can sit for weeks if not longer sending media male to those places

I thought I would give it a try. Buyer is supposed to get the coins on Tuesday, according to tracking. That would be less than a week. I already told her that she may have to wait for a while. If I have good luck I will use it again when I print from PayPal. I think USPS would have been at least $4.00 vs. the $2.75 I paid for media mail. I'm making almost nothing on the coins as it is.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12546 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I thought I would give it a try. Buyer is supposed to get the coins on Tuesday, according to tracking. That would be less than a week. I already told her that she may have to wait for a while. If I have good luck I will use it again when I print from PayPal. I think USPS would have been at least $4.00 vs. the $2.75 I paid for media mail. I'm making almost nothing on the coins as it is.

You can't use media mail for coins. IF it gets there you got lucky.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3311 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://about.usps.com/notices/not1...121_tech.htm

Quote:
Media Mail packages must have a delivery address and the sender's return address and are subject to inspection by the Postal Service™. Upon such inspection, matter not eligible for the Media Mail rate may be assessed at the proper price and sent to the recipient postage due, or the sender may be contacted for additional postage.
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3379 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You can't use media mail for coins. IF it gets there you got lucky.

Right. A coin book, yes. A movie on CD about coins, yes. But the coins themselves, no not allowed under Media Mail rules.
Pillar of the Community
United States
524 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Burton & KenKat, I did a bit more research on Media Mail and found the caveats that you shared. I'm not endorsing it but, as I said in the OP, I had expected to get a reasonable deal from PayPal, whereas nothing they offered was appropriate. Oddly enough the package was literally delivered in less than 48 hours of the time I dropped in mail box!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7112 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, the rules are tricky. They allow CDs, but not video games on disc format. Technically sending stuff media mail, that's not media, is fraud. A lot of people do it, but I'm not comfortable doing it.
Edited by edweather
10/18/2019 4:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3311 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CDs were included because thats how books-on-tape for the blind are distributed after the tape era.

Otto there is nothing in life that requires what you consider a fair deal. There are requirements that all of us follow the rules, lest we ruin what deals are on offer.

The post office may have ended whatever deal they had with PayPal and eBay. It might be as simple as PayPay is reselling Pitney Bowes service which is shutdown because of a ransomware attack. Might be anything else.
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05