Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unidentified Religious Medals

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
894 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  6:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I received these two medals among a small collection of Italian coins that my grandfather passed on to me, but I had no luck in identifying them. The first depicts Pope Pius XI and is dated 1933 in Roman numerals on the obverse. The reverse has a cross with O CRUX AVE SPES UNICA / IUBILAEUM HUMANAE / REDEMPTIONIS around the rim. The diameter is 25mm and the composition appears to be silver.

The second medal suffers from environmental damage, making the legends hard to decipher. The obverse (or what I assume to be the obverse) appears to depict the Virgin Mary, and my best reading of the lettering is M(or H)AIER SALTATOR ORAPRN. I can't make out the figure on the reverse, but the lettering as I read it is BIRGL TTE OSSALI. The medal is oval shaped, so the diameter from 12:00 to 6:00 is 27mm, while from 9:00 to 3:00 it's 24mm. The composition appears to be bronze.

Any help in identifying these medals would be much appreciated!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13549 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@CB, using the keywords "IUBILAEUM HUMANAE REDEPTIONIS" and SILVER as the keywords, I can find a few other examples of your first medal for sale. In the one on picclick.it, the description is,

Quote:
Silver coin medal (Ag 986/1000) of Italian origin:
Official Annual Papal Medal of the Vatican
RARE: ONLY 2000 EXEMPLARY
"50th Pontiff Priestly Ordination"
"Agreed between the Catholic Church and the Italian State"
Pope Pius XI
YEAR VIII Pontificate of 1929
Weight: 36gr
Diameter: 44mm

I can't confirm any of that to be true, but perhaps it gives you a starting point for your research.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2594 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The wording obverse on the second is likely MATER SALVATOR ORA PR N, "Mother of the Savior, Pray for Us."

The image of the virgin is similar to that used on Papal States copper coins of the late 1700s: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces119657.html

Perhaps the figure on the reverse is Saint Birgitta.
Edited by tdziemia
10/18/2019 8:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
894 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@CB, using the keywords "IUBILAEUM HUMANAE REDEPTIONIS" and SILVER as the keywords, I can find a few other examples of your first medal for sale.

Thank you Spence! It seems that the first medal is this one described in the British Museum, a 1933-1934 medal by Silvas commemorating the Holy Year of 1933-1934.

Quote:
The wording obverse on the second is likely MATER SALVATOR ORA PR N, "Mother of the Savior, Pray for Us."

The image of the virgin is similar to that used on Papal States copper coins of the late 1700s: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces119657.html

Perhaps the figure on the reverse is Saint Birgitta.

Thanks tdziemia! That wording makes much more sense than what I could decipher. I've tried searching these new keywords, but so far I can't find anything about this second medal.

Any other thoughts?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2594 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the lettering reverse is BIRGI TTE OS SALV, which means this is indeed a medal of the Swedish saint, Birgitta, who founded a religious order Ordo Sanctissimi Salvatoris (hence O S SALV).https://www.catholic.org/saints/sai...saint_id=264

I haven't done a deep dive on the web to try and find it, but maybe this will help get started.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05