Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1973 Canadian Penny Proof

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1647 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  10:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
looking for some help. this penny is covered with that jumk. its from that red liner. plus I think the case may have been in a damp place. could you tell me is there any way to clean this. also this penny is not copper its yellow. so its either gold or brass. any help it would be much appreciated. some thing else maybe I should not touch this coin. any thoughts thank you in advance.

Pillar of the Community
United States
715 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flag4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the weight? A copper Canadian 1973 cent should weigh 3.24 grams. Gold is a much denser metal and would weigh more.
Did the RCM ever strike a gold commemorative coin based on the one cent piece?
Edited by flag4
10/21/2019 11:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7660 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No proofs were struck in 1973.
Your coin is from a specimen strike set.
Acetone will clean it if done properly.
No copper cents were struck before this century, they were all bronze.
The red fuzz is what has caused your coin to appear yellow, it's environmental damage and quite common in these sets.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1548 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes...terrible PVC damage. This one is hopeless. Don't risk the acetone exposure on this.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  06:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's .98 copper with a little zinc and tin added to make it bronze. Nearly 1/2 billion minted. It's damaged specimen. Do what you can to make it purdy, including acetone, but it's worthless numismatically.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1647 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you all so very much. chhemical reaction thank you yes its like this coin is weightless, its so light again thankl you all
Learn More...
Canada
8658 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  09:42 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The bane of the red fluff in the 1973 double dollar Prestige sets. It is actually quite hard to get a nice 1973 specimen strike in full, bright red... even ones saved in time tend to be toned.

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
363 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Been there, done that. Try peanut butter, or Skin-so-soft. The oil in them can dissolve most sticky stuff (gets tape, glue residue, and sticky stuff off almost anything). I tried Release-All rust remover, which is also oily, and it got it all off, but I left it soaking too long and the coin went shiny brown. Rub the coin gently with your finger (coin is already useless and your skin is softer than bronze so...), for as little time as possible. Rinse with hot water to get the oil off, don't use soap, and cold water won't rinse it well. Dry it and protect it before it gets colourful like mine (some red and purple).

Edited by TerryT
10/22/2019 5:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1647 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you all so much for your help and suggestions.i am going to try to clean this coin. simply because its in such bad shape. good coin for me to try.
terry t thank you another place where cold cream really works great camera lens.thank you so much for that
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try Goo-Gone on a section of it. It removes ALL oily, sticky, gluey from surfaces
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1548 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okie & Rocky I think this one is well into the hard green phase where goo gone, WD40 etc will not work. Best case you will end up with a highly compromised coin of no value. But I think most of this green will stay put.

I had a good case today of a coin with minor early stage hardening. Maybe 5% of the surface. Sorry but I too no before photos. VerdiCare cleaned it up fully.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.93 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05