Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another New Purchase: Low-Mintage 1867 Gold Quarter-Eagle

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 736Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
5840 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2019  8:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
One dealer at the Fresno show had quite a few assorted, raw quarter eagles. I decided to go for this scarce date piece. What grade do you think it deserves?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67600 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2019  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a lot of experience here, but I'll say VF-25.
Edited by Coinfrog
10/28/2019 8:58 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19563 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2019  04:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In that condition,
I guess that it is a good way of getting a low mintage gold coin at a reasonable price.

Seems a bit rough around the date area.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11901 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2019  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF30
Pillar of the Community
United States
8137 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2019  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-25
Pillar of the Community
United States
5840 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I decided to send this coin for PCGS grading. With an original mintage of 3200 and an estimated total surviving population of just 50 pieces (per Coinfacts) it seemed like a good idea to have it certified. I was expecting a low but problem-free grade, perhaps VF-30. The result:

Reeding is perfect on this coin and I see no sign of mounting or any damage from a bezel. Jewelry pieces often show numerous pockmarks or else are obviously polished; this coin does not show these defects either.

What am I not seeing?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3529 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a possible repair behind Liberty's neck in the field?
Pillar of the Community
United States
921 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not seeing it either?
Something going on with the reeding...?
smat
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2706 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The pitting and lighter coloring in the protected areas catches my eye. Maybe enameled or color plated? That was fairly common in the 19th Century.

EDIT: I forgot to say, that's a really decent coin. I glanced at my old sales records, and I never handled an 1867 Quarter Eagle.
Edited by fortcollins
05/14/2022 10:47 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 736Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: