Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rating System Fails This Coin, Maximianus Follis, 85% Surface Ef

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
572 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2019  7:15 pm Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Really this coin, to call it even VF+ is a shame as 85% of the surface is amazingly sharp and 15% by the mint mark has the real issues. So I know saying 85% of the surface is EF is not correct but it so much more captures the coin status to me and just like they always say the Eskimos have so many more ways to describe snow then we do in English, this coin is neither EF or VF+. But it is 85% EF and 15% Poor.

Maximianus Follis Rome, 302-3 AD.
Laureate head / Moneta
standing l., holding scales and cornucopia; star//RS. RIC VI 109b.
9.94 grams, 28 mm.

Edited by louisvillekyshop
11/07/2019 7:16 pm
Learn More...
United States
22612 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2019  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The encrustation on the reverse hurts the grade, it can be removed. Provided there is no damage underneath it would bring up the grade IMO to aEF.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1576 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2019  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree the red encrustation is a bit of a put off but its still a nice coin..
Even if you did or could remove it without damaging the coin it looks as if this area of the strike is quite flat and probably wont show much detail anyhow..

PS..Its still a shame I cant buy from you
Edited by Palouche
11/07/2019 8:01 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13512 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2019  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about "EF details downgraded slightly to aEF due to moderate localized encrustation on the reverse"?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
777 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2019  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Very Fine or better in terms of wear, uneven strike, brown surfaces, adhesions".
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16004 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2019  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sheldon grading standards irrelevant but
almost all ancient coins have a comment to go with a grade.

In this case, the "poor" part would knock at least 50% off the value off an otherwise EF grade value.

(85 + 15)
_________ = 50

To be honest, I have never applied this sort of formula to an ancient coin value before, but curiously, it perhaps applies here.
Why?
I am mixing areas with values. - not mathematically correct.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3038 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  05:34 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I disagree
One key factor in grading an ancient coin involves the 'competition'
With extreme rarities allowances can be made for the fact that the owner is quite lucky to even have one in any condition !
In this case we have a type that was produced in great quantity and is commonly found in large hordes
The empire at this time (tetrarchy) was a solidly top heavy military dictatorship with vast sums of high quality folles being issued
to pay the enormous military maintained by four full time emperors
For me to grade this type as EF or near
I expect three things
I expect to see good silvering
I also expect to see some luster remaining in the fields with little evidence of wear on any of the high points

But that's not what I see
I know I probably sound mean and harsh about this
But I own nearly a hundred of these types (around 50% London - 25% Trier & Lyon)
There are quite a few folles in EF+ yet to be found
Buried long ago by pensioned veterans of living out their retirements in the vineyards of Gaul

IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Edited by FVRIVS RVFVS
11/08/2019 05:37 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05