Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is The World's Largest And Heaviest Pure Nickel Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16107 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2019  11:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have about 100 PURE nickel coins in a sort of 'stash', but I am thinking what may be the biggest?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10413 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  03:49 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know about any large pure nickel coins, but if I wanted to hoard it, I might go for Canadian nickels. They may be worth slightly more than face.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2863 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  06:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Singapore $10 from the 1980s are the largest. Belgium 20 Franks from the 1930s are second.
the smallest are the Netherlands 10 cent from 1948 to 2001.

The oldest are Switzerland 20 rappen from 1881, and I believe Canada and the Netherlands issued the last in 2001.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16107 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  07:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
oriole:
Thanks for that.
After looking at Krause world Coins,
it seems that the Singapore pure nickel $10 coins may have been Non Circulating Legal Tender, alongside the silver versions.

It also seems that the Belgian pure nickel 20 Francs may have been intended for general circulation.
Learn More...
Australia
13196 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The French Pacific territories of New Caledonia and French Polynesia still use (though no longer produce) pure nickel coins in circulation; the 50 francs is largest, at 33mm, and was last issued in nickel in 2005, when they switched to cupronickel. The price of nickel spiked in 2006, finally making these French colonial coins uneconomic to produce in pure nickel, before the price collapsed once again in 2009.

Nickel is New Caledonia's primary export with some of the largest nickel mines in the world, so I guess it makes sense to make nickel coins for there.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16107 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have two examples each of the pure nickel 50 Francs of French Polynesia and New Caledonia Territories. They are the largest pure nickel coins that I have.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As an aside, I also have an example each of the 100 Francs of French Polynesia and New Caledonia Territories in piedfort proof, gold colored nickel bronze. Their designs, both sides, are very similar to the 50 Francs coins.
I was lucky enough the cherry pick them out of a dealer's junk box at a coin show, for AU $12 each. (unimpaired)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2701 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never had the 50 francs, but have had this one since I collected it as a kid, shortly after issue:

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05