Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Would You Buy A 1942/41 Mercury Dime Like This One, Raw?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,593Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3236 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  04:50 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm so jaded about counterfeits that I just don't know if I could trust a coin like this one to be the real deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1942-41-Me...AOSwADVdqSdu

I probably know the answer, but I thought I'd ask for opinions. What do you think?
ša va bien aller
Pillar of the Community
United States
1212 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  04:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 0xDA71D to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I know the seller personally. He is good.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13823 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks legit but wonder why bidding is so low on a 4-5 hundred coin . Not happy with sellers photos , coin might be cleaned .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16798 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say yes it is probably cleaned, but at that price yes I'd buy it. It looks good.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
2167 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For that price? Ask him if he has 2 I'll buy one also. I love cheap coins and I love Mercury dimes. It's a double love fest! As long as you know it's real I would get it!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49668 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks good to me, but I don't like the color either.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4791 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To answer the topic question, ABSOLUTELY NOT.
Not NGC or PCGS slabbed, no interest.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19434 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of bids so far. Looks real to me. This seller sure is into Mercury dimes.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1776 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Raw, maybe. But like that one, no. It lacks eye appeal.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
249 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 88isgreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For something like that, I would want to see it in person. Like others have said, pictures are not the best.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3236 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I would feel a lot better seeing it in person. This coin ended up selling for #202, which is about half the price as it would be stabbed. I'm just starting to look hard at these... I love the 42/41 Merc and would love to have one, but on my budget, it would have to be raw, I just have to find a seller and coin I trust. Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts, I appreciate it. This coin does appear to be cleaned. I might have to settle on a lesser grade, but we'll see. Thanks everyone!
ša va bien aller
Pillar of the Community
United States
2167 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At $250, I would skip it, its at $202 now with 5 hours. It will surpass my $250 limit. The reason I don't own these is that I'm not an error collector, so unless its cheap, I'm not buying.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3460 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with hfjacinto - looks legit. At the right price, yes. Risk versus reward - it is that simple.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7710 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's at 316 bucks right now with 2 1/2 hours to go. This is at least the second time he's sold this same coin.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dilligaf2u to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately we have to deal with a lot of non paying bidders. It's got to the point of me having 3-4 per week.
So yes,it was sold 2 weeks ago as well. As far as authenticity? Buy it,double your money back if
Deemed not genuine by any of the top 4 grading services. Most of my coins do look better in hand
Because the pics are from an old iPhone 6. Prices are low because I believe in no guts no glory. Start at a buck and let her rip. Sometimes good sometimes bad. Thanks for looking
Valued Member
United States
261 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add beachnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The seller has a 14 day return policy. If it's the second time around for this coin the previous buyer likely got it in hand and didn't like something about it?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,593Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05