Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2008 D LMC Struckthrough

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  01:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pretty cool looking. I don't see a raised ridge around the deformity so I'm guessing it's not PMD. looks textured like fabric caused it but not sure. Can see relief on the reverse between the last column and last "A".

Bedrock of the Community
United States
30344 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  04:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first thought was grease with grit in it,but the bump on the opposite side makes me think PMD?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13835 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  05:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My first thought was grease with grit in it,but the bump on the opposite side makes me think PMD?

My thinking exactly.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1570 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  07:36 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought it was a strike through too! With the corresponding bulge on the reverse it looks like it's just damage. Weird hit.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42666 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  08:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, just damage.
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How or why does a corresponding bulge on the opposite side preclude something like this from being a struck through? the bulge is very slight.

The fact that the plating is intact in the depression makes me believe it is struck through.

Thanks for the feedback!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40770 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because the dies would maintain the flatness of the fields. It happened after the strike by a hit that pushed out on the opposite side of the coin.
Here is a struck through a button:

Note reverse is normal?
Here is a coin that someone used a punch on:

This ruined the value for this coin in a couple of hits.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for the feedback CCF!

But,, A couple things I don't understand

Coop, thanks for the examples and I do understand how damaged coins have bulges but the examples you give of the penny PMD is clearly PMD (raised contact rim, pushed metal) whereas this coins affected area looks nothing like that. Several responders here first instinct was to say this was struck through. Whatever was in that void was not meant to be there and there is no other indicator of how it got there besides the obvious mint pressing. There are no tool markings or resemblance of tool contact. I assume coins cool down after pressings so is it possible this small raised area developed upon cooling?

I would love to look through a catalog of struck throughs if one exists please link for me.

I found this listed on eBay as a struck through with opposite side showing through but maybe this is PMD as well?

here is a close up of the reverse bump. There is damage on the column from something else I believe.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40770 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But both of these are coin damage, not a struck through. Both are pushing out of the opposite size. Note the first one struck through a button I posted. Just the obverse was affected. That is the way a struck looks. PSD pushes the reverse outwards like the last two coins you posted. ( PSD)

Note this counter stamp coin. It damages the obverse and pushes out the reverse.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05