Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1799 George III Halfpenny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4036 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  10:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
From among some really worn older British coins, I plucked this one out today. I realize that these are undoubtedly quite common in the U.K. but on this side of the pond you generally don't see too many. I also acknowledge that value for these is almost negligible in any condition short of XF. That all said, your thoughts as to grade (on the Sheldon scale)? It's a bit grungy, but I'm nevertheless presenting it in its "as found" state.

Colligo ergo sum
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16100 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am really not very good at applying Sheldon grading to British coins. British grading to other than U.S. coins makes far more sense to my eye.
Being Australian, I have a quite extensive collection of British coins in all metals, mainly because British coins are part of early Australian coin Heritage.

However, I only use Sheldon grading for U.S. coins, here in the CCF.

So nevertheless, as asked for, here goes:
VG-10.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42838 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG-10 sounds about right.
Learn More...
United States
79288 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
From among some really worn older British coins, I plucked this one out today. I realize that these are undoubtedly quite common in the U.K. but on this side of the pond you generally don't see too many.
Well done.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16100 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  02:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1827 British pure copper penny is easier to find in Australia, than the U.K.
Why?
They were all issued into circulation in Australia.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05