Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1938 Jefferson Nickel - Pit Looks Like Pin Hole No Pressure Ridge

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1933 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  11:00 pm Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
No clue if this is even close to what a Rockwell test would look like, but can't come up with anything other than an impurity nodule that popped out. Does not look like PSD.

My only thought is that if you were looking to test planchet hardness, then likely you would do it on the first year of a new coin series.

Ideas welcome.

1938 Jefferson nickel - round pit ~ 1mm deep

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1598 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it's damage either. It's interesting that it dead in the center of a band of a different shade of metal. I've heard of the Rockwell test, but I've never seen one in hand. I think this has something to do with the alloy mix. As you said, maybe caused by an impurity.

I like it!
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10413 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  02:22 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My understanding is that Rockwell tests are typically performed at the approximate center of the planchet. Also, the shape, while not circular, is not oval either. The irregularity of the shape suggests to me that this is struck through debris. It could even have been a grain of sand.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
691 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  03:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not looking like a Rockwell Test to me https://conecaonline.org/rockwell-h...ncoln-cents/
Edited by Daves Errors
11/21/2019 03:33 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30446 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For what it's worth,my first thought was struck through some type of debris.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
806 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that the overall shape doesn't match a Rockwell test. In the field like this, it should be round (or possibly pyramidal?)

EDIT: Pyramid is on Vickers testing.

Link to different types of hardness testing.
https://www.hardnesstesters.com/tes...ness-testing .
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05