Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1926 S Buffalo For Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 533Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
450 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  3:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rlewis87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
United States
7595 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
vf20. very nice coin ans well struck for the issue.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48780 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say VF-20 as well, most attractive.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13599 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-20 sound good for this coin .I don't see any problems except one hit on top of Indians head and one hit on the under belly of the Buffalo in front of hind legs .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
7098 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF20
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20854 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2019  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll go with the rest, VF-20.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8860 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2019  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F15
Valued Member
United States
450 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rlewis87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this one came in with great news. thanks for all the responses guys.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8860 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WHAT! even on a good day I cant see it coming in as VF30. good for you but I wouldn't buy it at that grade. maybe there is something fortcollins knows on this one.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48780 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats are in order!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just saw this thread. I think I know how PCGS came up with VF-30, and I don't disagree with that net grade. I think PCGS graded the obverse at VF-30, reverse at VF-20, net whole coin at VF-25, with a +0.5 step for eye appeal, resulting in VF-30.

Eye appeal is solid here. For a Buff, there are four elements to eye appeal: matching die state, strike quality, evidence of die polishing, and visual appearance. The obverse is MDS and the reverse looks to be EMDS. That's an unusually good die marriage for 1926-S. Fine details in the feathers, eye, nose, and lips on the obverse and in the neck, beard, lettering, left foreleg, and sinews in the rear legs on the reverse point to an unusually good strike for 1926-S. There is minimal evidence of die clashing, and therefore minimal die polishing. That also suggests an early strike. Obverse and reverse wear is consistent, without heavy gouging or environmental damage. This one has positive eye appeal. (Just for an exercise, place it in a mug shot lineup with other VF 1926-S buffs. This one will stand out.)

In terms of wear, the obverse is a solid VF-30. There is clear separation from the hair and forehead and cheek. The second feather is complete, though fairly weak. (The rachis can be traced continuously.) The ribbons are identifiable all the way, though weak. The date has all four digits complete, though weak.

The reverse is more mixed, with decent detail on the horn, eye, beard, neck, and hair on the back. On the other hand, the "S" in CENTS and the tail are merging with the rim. I could see either VF-20 or VF-25 for the reverse.

A net whole coin grade of VF-25 would be fair. That makes the final grade an adjusted grade because of eye appeal.

The 1926-S has always been one of my least favorite dates in the series. It is notorious for mismatched die states, horrible strikes, and over-the-top die polishing. It isn't unusual to see technical EF coins with partial feathers, partial ribbons, no detail on the head or back, and lettering merging with the rims.

Any 1926-S with good eye appeal is a keeper, regardless of technical grade. This is one of the nicer mid-grade examples I've seen in a while. Great coin! I would expect a good bump over slabbed VF-30 trend because of the eye appeal.
Valued Member
United States
450 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rlewis87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that reply fortcollins and everyone.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 533Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05