Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1966 Silver Dollar DDO?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
368 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  10:40 pm Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
While looking through some of my silver coins I noticed these notches in the lettering of Elizabeth.. Through alot of reading I found that in MD you wont find these notches but you will in a DDO or DDR.

Top of B in Elizabeth..

Top of H in Elizabeth..

They say coin roll hunting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.... I think it went something like that, I was too busy looking at coins.

This is my very first error coin I found that got me hooked.
- 1989 Belize 25 Cent's with a Doubled Die Reverse http://goccf.com/t/362747
Pillar of the Community
Canada
768 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2019  01:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oldmike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a good idea to post a picture of the whole coin, looks like MD to me but maybe the experts will chime in
Valued Member
Canada
368 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2019  01:53 am  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a full picture of the Obverse

I have also been using this as a guide to identify Doubled Dies, I found this on google

From what I am seeing it looks a lot like hub doubling drawn in this picture but I could be wrong.
They say coin roll hunting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.... I think it went something like that, I was too busy looking at coins.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
31267 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2019  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That drawing is from one of our members
Your coin looks like MD to me.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
Canada
368 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2019  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the reply John1, I remember seeing that drawing on here somewhere too, so I will say thank you to whoever had drawn it as it has been a big help, but maybe some one can explain this to me a little better. I do know there is some MD on this coin but I also read this quote from error-ref.com....

"A Doubled Die is an additive process where the hub has left multiple impressions of a device, this will result in rounded doubled areas and make the device larger. Doubled Dies most often have notching which is where the sharp corners of the doubled areas overlap; Machine Doubling cannot do this."

I do understand that Machine Doubling is more flat (like the pictures I provided) and a true DDR or DDO is more rounded but I do know that there are a few doubled dies that look just as flat as this and still considered a Doubled die due to the notching that can only happen on a true doubled die and not Machine Doubling. I am still learning to determine legitimate doubled die so I'm hoping maybe someone can clear this up for me. It makes it very confusing when you read that notching cant happen on MD but then I get told it is MD, so I'm sure as you can see where I might get my confusion from.

I have had 2 Doubled dies be called Machine Doubling than turned out to be legitimate DDO's so forgive me for my questions I just hope to understand things a bit better is all. I respect any and all opinions here as I am here to learn, I just want to make sure I am learning properly.

edit* The reason I ask is because the lettering on this coin is flat, so would a coin with flat lettering not produce a flat looking double, not a rounded looking one. If the lettering is well rounded and had doubling that was flat than I would look at it as MD.

Edited by JohnWayne007
11/23/2019 12:49 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
31267 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2019  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's wait for coop to chime in.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
Canada
368 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2019  02:46 am  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is probably the clearest photo I could take.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1461 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2019  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well there is notching so it must be imo
Valued Member
Canada
368 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2019  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Alan, that is what I thought as well, I'm hoping others can chime in and give their opinions. I finally got around to putting a good filter an my microscope light so now I am able to get clearer photos.

Valued Member
Canada
368 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2019  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone have any idea what these bead things are in between each dentical on the reverse of this coin?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7747 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2019  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a doubled die IMO
The tops of B E and T are not increased in thickness.
If the cause of doubling were doubled die the overall appearance of those tops should be thicker than normal.

"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
Canada
368 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2019  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DBM, thank you for your opinion, may I ask if this is not doubled than could you explain how the notching on top of the B could of happened as its not suppose to be there, its also present on the first E in Elizabeth the B and in the H. I do get that it should be thicker at the tops but the notches are too perfect for them to be PMD or Machine Doubling so my question is if its not doubled than what is it..

Edited by JohnWayne007
11/25/2019 8:54 pm
Valued Member
Canada
368 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to bump up my post but I am hoping someone might have some more info about this for me, every time I look at my first photo of the letter "B" that notching just gets to me as I have so many unanswered questions about it, there are other places that this notching occurs although not as severe as the B...

If this is not a DDO what could of caused this notching to look so perfect, ive never seen notches like this on Machine Doubling, I try to forget about it and not bother with it and play it off like its just MD but I've had 3 other people 1 on the group say it looks like one and 2 in person tell me it looks way to obvious to be anything else other than a DDO.

When it comes to advice from DBM and others on here I usually don't question their opinion's but I do know first hand that doubling doesn't always mean thicker lettering (my 1965 nickel for example).

If this really is just MD or something else I'm just looking for an answer that makes sense regarding the notches, can notches like this really be present on a coin and not be doubled? I am still learning when it comes to DDO's and DDR's so forgive me for my many questions as I came here to learn from the best.

Edited by JohnWayne007
12/08/2019 1:53 pm
Valued Member
Canada
368 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a series of photos of each letter in Elizabeth that shows visible notches. Yes I'm sure you can see there is some MD in spots but I'm not concerned about those, its these notches I would like to know about. Hopefully these will help others see what I am seeing...

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05